Sign in with
Your question

Need help from a pro

Last response: in Overclocking
August 20, 2012 6:10:03 AM

Hi everybody i am thinking i want to go watercooling i don't know a lot and my budget is $400 right now should i save more money here is what i am thinking so far any thoughts suggestions i am all ears to be honest i am kinda scared to do this but i will get over it :lol: 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

More about : pro

August 20, 2012 6:21:50 AM
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 6:26:47 AM

Hose clamps and tubing can be purchased at any hardware store for a very low price. They won't be as pretty as some that you can get from online but they work just the same if not better.

If money is not an issue I highly recommend these compression fittings in lieu of a hose clamp and barb. They are expensive but are pure PC bling.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=28960&vpn=BP-CPF-CC5&...

They do have one draw back though, they won't fit on tiny blocks but shouldn't give you any problems with those components.

I also noticed that you don't have any sort of coolant or additives in there. You will need one or the other, distilled water alone isn't really enough.

The additives you will need are to kill bacteria and algae that love to grow in warm water. Do not buy any coolant dye, they don't work. Just get something like PTNuke. You may be able to use biocide meant for a pool but I wouldn't recommend it.

I highly advise against buying any sort of coolant though because it's needlessly expensive. Instead you can use a 50/50 or 75/25 mixture of distilled water and ethylene-glycol / propylene-glycol antifreeze. A 4L/1Gallon premixed jug costs a few bucks at any automotive shop and will do well enough on its own with no need for further additives, you could even get them at the same place as the hose clamps and tubing.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 6:37:23 AM

this is a good loop for the CPU you will need at least 6 barbs and i would get a few plastic push in fittings for a fill/flush system

here is a look at the type of system i build for my loops, but you can build this out of bits power fittings and shut off valves.
if you go with plastic you will need inserts for the tubing so that the fittings do not leak.

this knid of system can be added anywhere in the loop but right before the pumps inlet is the best place for it.
August 20, 2012 6:44:00 AM

Pinhedd said:
Hose clamps and tubing can be purchased at any hardware store for a very low price. They won't be as pretty as some that you can get from online but they work just the same if not better.

If money is not an issue I highly recommend these compression fittings in lieu of a hose clamp and barb. They are expensive but are pure PC bling.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=28960&vpn=BP-CPF-CC5&...

They do have one draw back though, they won't fit on tiny blocks but shouldn't give you any problems with those components.

I also noticed that you don't have any sort of coolant or additives in there. You will need one or the other, distilled water alone isn't really enough.

The additives you will need are to kill bacteria and algae that love to grow in warm water. Do not buy any coolant dye, they don't work. Just get something like PTNuke. You may be able to use biocide meant for a pool but I wouldn't recommend it.

I highly advise against buying any sort of coolant though because it's needlessly expensive. Instead you can use a 50/50 or 75/25 mixture of distilled water and ethylene-glycol / propylene-glycol antifreeze. A 4L/1Gallon premixed jug costs a few bucks at any automotive shop and will do well enough on its own with no need for further additives, you could even get them at the same place as the hose clamps and tubing.
o.k. thank you and yeah i plan on using De-Ionized water and a kill coil
August 20, 2012 6:46:37 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
this is a good loop for the CPU you will need at least 6 barbs and i would get a few plastic push in fittings for a fill/flush system

]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/198/tests1baseline004.th.jpg

here is a look at the type of system i build for my loops, but you can build this out of bits power fittings and shut off valves.
if you go with plastic you will need inserts for the tubing so that the fittings do not leak.

this knid of system can be added anywhere in the loop but right before the pumps inlet is the best place for it.
Thanks for info :love: 
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:03:54 AM

Well I read through that guide and is tells you all the basics you are well informed if you read it all.

the sticky here at tom's is a good read as well with much the same info but understand if you ask for a pro you will get people that have been doing this for years and have discovered a few way to make the process that much easier for you.

So do not think for a moment that you are not knowledgeable, if you weren’t trust me we could tell, and the first thing that would have been stated was read the sticky.

Since this did not happen to you, it means that your build selection was well thought out.
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:11:04 AM

I have used antifreeze for years it will protect the system.

Today many people use distilled water with so kind of anti-microbe additive and have no issues with corrosion.

If corrosion starts within your loop this will stop the problem in its tracks or wetter water added to the system will do the same but until you try it without you won’t know if you need to I use it because I am too scared not to use it
August 20, 2012 7:25:32 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
Well I read through that guide and is tells you all the basics you are well informed if you read it all.

the sticky here at tom's is a good read as well with much the same info but understand if you ask for a pro you will get people that have been doing this for years and have discovered a few way to make the process that much easier for you.

So do not think for a moment that you are not knowledgeable, if you weren’t trust me we could tell, and the first thing that would have been stated was read the sticky.

Since this did not happen to you, it means that your build selection was well thought out.
Thank you i feel much better and i will also read the TH watercooling sticky as well
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:26:44 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
I have used antifreeze for years it will protect the system.

Today many people use distilled water with so kind of anti-microbe additive and have no issues with corrosion.

If corrosion starts within your loop this will stop the problem in its tracks or wetter water added to the system will do the same but until you try it without you won’t know if you need to I use it because I am too scared not to use it

+1

Antifreeze acts as a biocide and a lubricant. It's got less thermal conductivity but it will keep a system going for longer than it would on just water.
August 20, 2012 7:34:45 AM

The main reason i want to go watercooling is because i think it looks so cool and i want to overclocking higher than my nh-d14 can handle temps wise are these dumb reasons ?
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:40:48 AM

Well if you’re asking me that is why I do it so are my reasons any good.

If all you where after was stock you would not need water cooling at all.

Here have a look at my build log I enjoy the water cooling hobby I have and would not give it up for anything.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274855-29-experimenta...

It is always a challenge that I am willing to concur for the fun of it.
!