Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Freezing after 15 hours of prime95

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 20, 2012 6:46:51 AM

well i just wented t test the system with only xmp profile enabled but after 15 hours on prime95 my system got freezed on a blend test

well i don't know what it could cause the problem any idea ?


system :

i7 3770k
p8z77-v
2kits of gskill F3-2400c10D-8GTX (16g ram)
gtx 670 sli
sesonic 750pw
256 crucial m4 ssd
320 hdd
cooler master haf x

More about : freezing hours prime95

a c 110 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 6:53:39 AM

It may have frozen, but honestly, I'd call even making it to 15 hours stable enough. I've never run more than 12 hours myself, and still have a rock solid stable system (never crashes or freezes doing anything I throw at it).

15 hours of Prime blend is quite literally a torture test and none of the components will ever see that kind of stress from anything else.

Is there an issue? Possibly, especially with that RAM config (all 4 slots in use with very high speed RAM), but I'll bet that you'll never see it happen again in normal, non stress test usage (including gaming or literally anything else that's not a stress test).
m
0
l
August 20, 2012 7:28:49 AM

yeah , but i once before run my old system amd955 and it passes 24 hour test while on overclock

now with a higher system like these i didn't expect to freez

well the test is that to make sure every thing is working s it should and yes i know i won't runing thing that take 100% of my system but i could have game crashes if the system is like that because it might mis calculating sometimes in future , i just want to be relife it could be a problem that i don't feel it now but would feel it in the future , thats why i'm askign for help to identfiy what causes these problem and not let the system at least pass 24 hour test
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 2:09:24 PM

Well, like I said, if there actually is a problem, it's likely that it's because you're using 4 modules of 2400 RAM.

I'm also guessing that the RAM isn't on the QVL for that board. QVL's aren't the end all, be all of compatibility, and it normally wouldn't matter so much, anyway, if you were only using 2 modules, but with all 4 slots being populated, if there's an incompatibility issue, it'll show up then, for sure, especially with RAM as fast as 2400.

Seriously though, I highly doubt it'll ever show up again. If it does, my suggestion is to try slower RAM. 2400 is basically pointless on a Sandy or Ivy Bridge system anyway, since the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the SB and IB CPU's is "happiest" with 1600 RAM. Nothing faster makes an appreciable difference in performance with almost anything (and definitely not gaming).
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 5:17:45 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, like I said, if there actually is a problem, it's likely that it's because you're using 4 modules of 2400 RAM.

I'm also guessing that the RAM isn't on the QVL for that board. QVL's aren't the end all, be all of compatibility, and it normally wouldn't matter so much, anyway, if you were only using 2 modules, but with all 4 slots being populated, if there's an incompatibility issue, it'll show up then, for sure, especially with RAM as fast as 2400.

Seriously though, I highly doubt it'll ever show up again. If it does, my suggestion is to try slower RAM. 2400 is basically pointless on a Sandy or Ivy Bridge system anyway, since the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) of the SB and IB CPU's is "happiest" with 1600 RAM. Nothing faster makes an appreciable difference in performance with almost anything (and definitely not gaming).




well i'm not clear and not fully understand Integrated Memory Controller so u saying that the speed of the data transfar limited by the cpu @ 1600?
so why alot of motherbordes accept more than 1600 if it' pointless >?
so how can i benefite from the 2400 ??

and can i do something to make cpu accept more than 1600?

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 110 K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 5:21:07 PM

t21 said:
well i'm not clear and not fully understand Integrated Memory Controller so u saying that the speed of the data transfar limited by the cpu @ 1600?
so why alot of motherbordes accept more than 1600 if it' pointless >?
so how can i benefite from the 2400 ??

and can i do something to make cpu accept more than 1600?


The CPU's aren't limited to 1600, it's just that from a performance perspective, they way they're designed, more than 1600 just isn't much faster.

The only things that having faster than 1600 RAM helps is if you are using a RAM disk, if you are using the integrated graphics of the CPU, or if you do A LOT of RAM intensive work. Most people (if you have a discreet GPU) don't do any of that, so, that's why there's really no point.

For you, since I imagine that you're mostly a gamer with those SLI 670's, you would never notice a difference between 1600 and 2400 except in RAM related benchmarks. Not really beneficial at all in your situation.

Also, there's nothing that you can do that will change that. The 2400 RAM should still work just fine, though. I'm thinking your problem (if there even IS one) is the motherboard not liking that RAM kit, not the CPU.
Share
August 21, 2012 5:39:08 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The CPU's aren't limited to 1600, it's just that from a performance perspective, they way they're designed, more than 1600 just isn't much faster.

The only things that having faster than 1600 RAM helps is if you are using a RAM disk, if you are using the integrated graphics of the CPU, or if you do A LOT of RAM intensive work. Most people (if you have a discreet GPU) don't do any of that, so, that's why there's really no point.

For you, since I imagine that you're mostly a gamer with those SLI 670's, you would never notice a difference between 1600 and 2400 except in RAM related benchmarks. Not really beneficial at all in your situation.

Also, there's nothing that you can do that will change that. The 2400 RAM should still work just fine, though. I'm thinking your problem (if there even IS one) is the motherboard not liking that RAM kit, not the CPU.


thanks for clearing somethings that i didn't know

well as for the ram i tried to use the xmp again but these time i adjusted the dram to 1.67 and and vccsa 1.01 (system agent voltage ) and other settings set to auto


well now i don't have aproblem it seems more than ok i passed prime more than 24+ hours without any problem

so i guess what i need to do is start overclocking the cpu again

but i just notice that Dimm voltage is 1.65 on aida 64 sensor
but in the bios the dram voltage is set to 1.67 is it because the xmp ?? or the aida 64 cannot read it correctly
m
0
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 5:41:19 PM

t21 said:
but i just notice that Dimm voltage is 1.65 on aida 64 sensor
but in the bios the dram voltage is set to 1.67 is it because the xmp ?? or the aida 64 cannot read it correctly


Just a small variation in the way AIDA is reading is my guess. I wouldn't worry about it.
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 5:57:08 PM

Thanks DJDeCiBeL
m
0
l
August 21, 2012 5:57:27 PM

Best answer selected by t21.
m
0
l
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 21, 2012 5:58:06 PM

You're welcome. :) 
m
0
l
!