Visual screw up when gaming

Kediil

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
MoBo: ATI, not positive the model
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory 1502MB Ram
Video: NVIDIA GeFOrce 7900 GT/GTO (last driver update, 7/14/2009)
Audio: SB X-Fi Audio (DF00)
Power Supply: Not positive exactly, I never go below 550 though

My problem is similar to this guy: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278058-33-problem-display-gaming
And I am trying the suggestions offered there as well.

I've had this strange ongoing problem with my graphics while gaming. When I enter a game the visuals have been going haywire giving me a slantwise kaleidoscope effect of mishmashed colours. Usually a mixure of oranges and reds, though lighter images will come in blue (if that even matters ;p). The most recent game I've messed with (Immortals of Terra - I'm a sucker for point and clicks until I want to bash my brains into the wall for pointless back and forthing), the screen just goes black, sound remains (always does).

It'll start up anywhere from 10 seconds into loading a game, up to 10 odd minutes into play. Sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times before 'stabilizing' and letting me play. Sometimes it'll happen repeatedly, every 30 seconds to 2 minutes for hours (what can I say, when I want to play, I'm persistent).

The most ridiculous part is that I only need to exit to windows or ctl-alt-del and reenter the game without actually quitting and it'll be fine again, whether that's for the next two days it's up, or two seconds. We've checked the connections, temps are all running fine, replaced the heat sync anyhow and with new paste.

Also, this happens with *all* games. Everything from FEAR and COD down to My Dreamday Wedding. Playing movies, etc, is always fine, it's just the games. This is not good for a gamer/gaming computer. XD

I know that the card may simply be dying, but I'm trying to do anything in my power to pretend that's not the case. The fact that it'll 'break down' and work once a game has been up for a while makes me think something else is going on, but who knows. If I don't get anything good, I'll just have to make a stop at Frys and try a new card to see if it fixes it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS