Sign in with
Your question

How much coolant?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 20, 2012 7:50:16 AM

How much coolant would you say would be needed in a 360mm rad setup, say an XSPC RX360 for instance?

More about : coolant

a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 8:00:33 AM

this is a little vage but what type of coolent are you talking about, and how much tubing, is there a res how big is it if there is one, and why does it matter?
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 8:41:24 AM

I'm guessing you're trying to order coolant for a new loop. If you're res isn't that big and not much tubing just get 1 liter, if not grab 2 and you'll have plenty to spare
Related resources
August 20, 2012 8:42:19 AM

Thanks scopey86
August 20, 2012 8:43:39 AM

Sorry
Just distilled water, XSPC dual 5.25" bay res. not too much tubing.
Was just interested, I don't want to go buying some massive 5 litre thing if I only need a couple. The answer can be as vague as my question. :p 
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 9:13:25 AM

I do not like the coolants with a DYE in them, this may destroy your loop and blocks. If you want color get colored tubing or paint the tubing but do not add DYE To your loop as it will bake to the inside of your blocks causing temps to rise and my clog the loop altogether
a c 331 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 1:55:53 PM

Dye is usually a little safer than 'coolants' since the only real addition they typically have is just the dye itself. Coolants tend to have some kind of proprietary concoction of glycol or other mixtures that is said to perform to a specific spec, but 99.99% of those instances are simply the peddling of snake oil.

Coolants should be scrutinized before considering- under constant, high loads some have been seen to break down and precipitate into coagulated matter which collects in CPU blocks and radiators. Feser One Blue mix is one of the most notable offenders, although there are others that have caused the same to happen.

Distilled water is just the best. Toss in some sort of antimicrobial and you are set.
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 4:21:38 PM

If you insist on using dyes/premix I would reccomend Mayhems. They've got some awesome colors and from what I've read to date they're much safer than other dyes.
August 20, 2012 5:41:10 PM

When I said coolant I just meant distilled water but typing coolant was quicker, if I do WC then I'll get solid colour tubing so I won't need dye or anything.
August 20, 2012 6:16:56 PM

i would just grab 6 litres of distilled, so about 2 jugs of it.
a c 331 K Overclocking
August 20, 2012 6:53:31 PM

I just buy a gallon of distilled, but depending on where you live in the world, you might find it in liter containers, but even then, you shouldn't need more than 2-3 at very most unless you have a huge reservoir.
!