USB transfer causing blue screen on i5 Win7 64 system

Hi all,

I have recently put together the following system...

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P
CPU: i5
CASE: Antec P183
PSU: Antec BP500 Plus
RAM: Corsair Micro TW3X4G1333C9A (1333MHz 2 x 2GB)
GPU: ASUS 512MB RADEON HD 4350
HD: Samsung 1Tb
Wireless: DLink DWA 510

...and I humbly ask help with the following.

I have been experiencing a some instability in the form of occasional BSODs. The causes have appeared to be random. I have checked my RAM and am aware that the wireless card may cause issues and hence tested without it.

I have discovered that doing any transfer of significant amounts of data over USB will always cause a blue screen crash. I believe that it requires a transfer of around 1 gig or more. I have searched extensively for a solution but so far no joy!

I have updated the BIOS on the MOBO to F6 recently.

Help or advice on this would be enormously appreciated.

R
3 answers Last reply
More about transfer causing blue screen win7 system
  1. I'm thinking this has something to do with your power supply. Looks like it can't handle the need to provide power to additional devices, even for something as minute as a USB flash drive. Perhaps you can try swapping the PSU out for a spare unit or that of a friend's, and see if the issue goes away?
  2. r_manic, thanks for your reply and advice.

This problem was however solved by a skilled and knowledgeable friend disabling the USB3 controlers on the motherboard. It has been running ever since without even a semblance of a stutter.

All the best

R
  3. ^ Which USB ports did you use ? the USB 3.0 are indicated in Blue color and if you use the other regular USB 2.0 ports, you wouldnt have any issues...
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems