Sign in with
Your question

USB transfer causing blue screen on i5 Win7 64 system

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2010 8:56:12 PM

Hi all,

I have recently put together the following system...

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P
CPU: i5
CASE: Antec P183
PSU: Antec BP500 Plus
RAM: Corsair Micro TW3X4G1333C9A (1333MHz 2 x 2GB)
GPU: ASUS 512MB RADEON HD 4350
HD: Samsung 1Tb
Wireless: DLink DWA 510

...and I humbly ask help with the following.

I have been experiencing a some instability in the form of occasional BSODs. The causes have appeared to be random. I have checked my RAM and am aware that the wireless card may cause issues and hence tested without it.

I have discovered that doing any transfer of significant amounts of data over USB will always cause a blue screen crash. I believe that it requires a transfer of around 1 gig or more. I have searched extensively for a solution but so far no joy!

I have updated the BIOS on the MOBO to F6 recently.

Help or advice on this would be enormously appreciated.

R
January 21, 2010 4:38:01 AM

I'm thinking this has something to do with your power supply. Looks like it can't handle the need to provide power to additional devices, even for something as minute as a USB flash drive. Perhaps you can try swapping the PSU out for a spare unit or that of a friend's, and see if the issue goes away?
m
l
January 22, 2010 9:44:55 AM

r_manic, thanks for your reply and advice.

This problem was however solved by a skilled and knowledgeable friend disabling the USB3 controlers on the motherboard. It has been running ever since without even a semblance of a stutter.

All the best

R
m
l
January 22, 2010 9:51:47 AM

^ Which USB ports did you use ? the USB 3.0 are indicated in Blue color and if you use the other regular USB 2.0 ports, you wouldnt have any issues...
m
l
!