CPU or Motherboard onboard graphics

grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I do not need fancy graphics and as such have never installed a grafic card. Although I do have a unused Matrox Millenium ATX board.

Is it the motherboard chipset that provides the graphics output to my screen or the CPU itself?

I have some conflicting information with reference to I5-750 chips and Q57 motherboard, in that the Q57 chipset will only work with i5-6xx versions?

Any advise is helpful to me at the moment.

I am looking at I5-750 on Q57 Motherboard without any graphics cars and want to run two screens for spread sheet & accounts use.

cisco sfp

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010

Intel recently launched latest mother board with all graphic cards..Desktop Boards — AGP 2/4X graphics cards. Use them...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
The most recent Intel CPUs have a graphics processor built in to the CPU. This is really only the most recent, and only certain models. They are not top-notch graphics, but good enough for HD video.

The i5 750 is not one of them. You would need a GPU to have video if you had the CPU.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
If you really want Intel with onboard graphics then you need a H55 or H57 chipset motherboard with an i3 or i5 CPU (except i5 750).

Or go the AMD route - all the socket AM3 boards have good onboard graphics, and the Phenom II CPUs are pretty good and dead cheap.

However onboard graphics only ever drives one monitor, so for 2 monitors you will need a graphics card - you can pick up perfectly good graphics cards very, very cheaply. You will need a PCI-Express graphics card though - AGP is long dead.