Wireless card not detected (WinXP)

newcomer23

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
My windows 7 RC beta expired (actually awhile ago, I just set the date back to 1999, but nvm) and I decided to use an old windows xp professional installation disc I had. My computer has two hard drives, I installed WinXP seperate from my Windows 7 installation (mostly for the files, not trying to dual boot).

I have a PCI wireless adapter, D-Link's DWL-G510(http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=308) installed in my computer. I believe I first used this network adapter with Ubuntu, which I got working (I don't recall if there were many problems), and I think Windows 7 supported it naturally. My problem now is with Windows XP does not seem to recognize the card at all. What I find strange is that the card is still flashing (which I thought indicated that it was transmitting data), even when I can't seem to locate the device on WinXP.

Honestly, I may just be a little rusty with Windows XP but I can't seem to get the internet options down. I have tried the driver and installer from the link to D-Link's webpage(above), and one here (The XP one):
http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DWL-G510&revision=REV_C&filetype=Drivers
Both times I tried to install those, I removed the PCI card, turned on the computer ran the installers, turned off the computer, reinstalled the PCI card, and turned the computer back on.

The d-link set up program shows me those familiar wireless bars in the taskbar but they are marked out. And when I try to run the d link software to check for the card it says that the adapter is not detected.

The main point of confusion and frustration for me is that I am quite confident that the card works (as it is flashing even now), but I can't seem to properly install the drivers to make XP recognize it.

I've looked in the device manager but I don't see anything that rings a bell. So any suggestions or explanations would be appreciated, pardon the length and rambling nature of this request.

G

When installing PCI devices it's not a bad idea to avoid conflicts by opening the motherboard BIOS screens and disabling any ports which are not in use -- obvious candidates are COM and Game/Midi plus Parallel Printer (if using USB printer).
Restart Windows a couple of times to allow resources to be reassigned.

Also try a different PCI slot.

On Netgear PCI cards (and they may share chipsets with DLink) if your installation fails you have to unpick stuff from the registry before attempting again. It's not an inviting prospect, I know.

newcomer23

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for the quick replies, and sorry my for slow response. I actually didn't realize that Australia driver was the Rev C model until you pointed that out so thanks for that, I'm pretty sure I have Rev A. I tried a different PCI slot and the network adapter has stopped flashing, but still no luck with installing it. I probably should have mentioned that in my device manager I believe it is showing up as an Other PCI Bridge component, but has an exclamation point. I have tried updating the driver there, but the the xp driver I downloaded just isn't working (I think it was code 28). Several other of my cards have exclamation points in the device manager, are there drivers for motherboards themselves, or is this just the perfect storm? I'm not sure where to start with the regedit though, I have tried disabling the COM 1 port to no avail.

Another quick and probably stupid question, if I hook up my computer to my wireless router by ethernet where would that show up? I tried it yesterday hoping that I could have winXP pick the right drivers for me if it was online. Would this be classified as a broadband connection? I screwed around with creating a new connection for a while, but it also didn't seem to show up anywhere. When connected the port has a green light that doesn't flash on either end.

Are you sure you installed ALL the motherboard drivers? Most motherboards require chipset drivers and other individual drivers for the LAN, audio, maybe on-board video, etc. That "other PCI bridge" sounds like that might be the problem. If you don't have the motherboard chipset drivers installed, then a whole bunch of other stuff won't work either, including PCI devices, USB devices, sound, etc. I'm assuming this is a system you built. Visit the motherboard manufacturer's website and get ALL the drivers installed before even attempting the installation of other PCI devices.

Here again, it sounds like maybe you haven't installed the LAN drivers for that motherboard. Once you do, the network connection should show up under Network Connections (Start->Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes), and hit enter).