Replacing HDD with SSD (No clue what I am doing)

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I am looking into buying a SSD for my current setup. (Any suggestions? I was thinking about getting the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS Edition, Tom's Hardware seems to like it. But everywhere else I look, it has terrible reviews and major issues with causing BSOD.)

The problem is, even when I do find the one I want, I don't exactly know what to do.

I currently have 2 HDD (no raid) that I want to be used as storage and have the SSD be for programs, os, etc...obviously.

Is this what I would have to do?

1. Transfer all data from current OS HDD to other storage HDD.

2. Format old OS drive.

3. disconnect both HDDs and connect SSD.

4. re-install Windows 7 to SSD.

5. re-connect both HDDs and transfer data to SSD.

6. enjoy?

I really have no clue when it comes to storage. So, would this be the best way to keep all my files and programs? Could I even transfer the programs to the SSD or will I have to re-install them all?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I just want to add a SSD to my setup and replace the current OS drive, without having to re-do everything I have already done, installed, etc.

tomatthe

Distinguished
That looks very good except I'm not sure what data you would be transferring in Step 5. If its just pics, music, movies leave all of that on your storage drive, if its programs you will need to reinstall those rather then just copying them over to your ssd.