Sign in with
Your question

Need a reco for my new build...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2010 6:43:22 AM

OK so the graphics portion is not my forte when it comes to system building so when I see a bunch of options I am pretty much at a loss. I need some advice (recos) on a pretty low level but value based card or two.

Basics to my system so far are...
Asus P6X58D Premium board (so I have at least 2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 to mess with)
6gb 1600 DDR3
Will be buying two 640g Caviar Blacks
and will eventually overclock a i7 920 once I buy some better cooling (will run it at stock specs til then).

My price point is between 50-100 a card because I am not a gamer. I plan on either immediately or eventually running the cards in SLI or Crossfire just for a bit of a boost (and dual monitor support)

I need the card to have DVI, VGA and HDMI support. Reasoning is my current LCD is VGA only but I plan to upgrade and want to be able to utilize DVI or HDMI depending on what I find. I also plan to hook it up to my Samsung 40" for kicks.

I need Blu-Ray decoding support HDCP and will be doing little to no gaming (unless I find something that is of interest to me later on). I do however want to be able to utilize full HD on a 22-24" monitor.

I think I should be able to accomplish this at this price point but I need help pulling the trigger.

Remember I am trying to keep it within 50-100 each from newegg or other online retailers. Thanks for the help.

More about : reco build

Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 8:58:46 PM

If you aren't gaming you don't even need the HD4670. Almost any card can handle 2 monitors and do it well, there is no reason at all to consider getting more than 1 unless you want to run 3 monitors. The most powerful card you should consider is probably the HD4650 and even that is a borderline gaming card and overkill for your purposes. An HD4350 or 4550 would be my recommendation.
m
l
January 11, 2010 9:05:47 PM

I don't want to ENTIRELY skimp because I do want to keep my options open for maybe some light stuff in the future... I am ok going a bit beyond my needs (the 30 dollars or so isn't going to make or break me). I am still iffy on the crossfire tho I do agree with you there. I think the one I linked to supported dual dvi if I read it correctly so that may be my only card.
m
l
January 11, 2010 9:09:29 PM

also that HIS card on newegg won't save me much honestly because since I am in NJ I am fortunate enough that Newegg charges me tax so combine the 7% plus the shipping and I am at just about $100... the microcenter is in an area of NJ that cuts tax in half so for maybe $5 more I can have it the same day... worth the extra money to me.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 9:18:28 PM

If you do want to keep open the option of gaming the HD4670 is a good choice. If you really do get into it you will probably end up wanting a better card however. If you are going to spend $100 anyway then that HD4850 rolli linked is really a much better card for gaming.
Like I said there's no reason at all for 2 cards unless you want more than two monitors.
m
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
January 11, 2010 9:33:44 PM

^+1
m
l
January 11, 2010 11:38:56 PM

ok great advice I'll prob end up with the HD4850 then
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 12:51:36 AM

It had free shipping over the weekend. You asked a day late unfortunately.
Just make sure you get a psu of a quality brand that's 400w or higher. You should do that anyway though.
m
l
January 12, 2010 12:53:11 AM

yeah I'll prob have to upgrade... I got a 600w with my case that I am sure isn't top quality.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 12, 2010 12:54:33 AM

PSUs that come with cases are usually sketchy unless it's Antec. It may be adequate however if it's supposedly 600w.
m
l
January 12, 2010 12:57:30 AM

yeah I know... that's probably going to be my final purchase. The case/PSU is a raidmax so I know there are worse but it still isn't very good.
m
l
!