Sign in with
Your question

SATA / IDE Drive - Letter Assignment XP

Last response: in Systems
January 13, 2010 9:46:56 PM

Wondering if somebody with experience may have some ideas as to what type of a problem I am dealing with. Had to replace an older motherboard and went with a newer version that offers SATA connectors, as well as the traditional IDE option to hook up a hard drive. The motherboard model is Gigabyte - MA785GM-US2H. Because of the new SATA setup I also purchased a new SATA hard drive, which works fine so far. I am actually not sure I am taking advantage of the full SATA speed & capabilities, but that is another issue to be dealt with later. Installed Windows XP Professional and all the drivers. No problems there, the complete system is running fine. However, I wanted to incorporate an old IDE hard drive with some data on it, into this new system. I hooked it up via the standard IDE flat cable, and the hardware settings are set to Slave Drive. Problem is that Windows does not see this drive, and does not assign it a hard drive letter, which I could select in "My Computer". The strange part though is, that the drive is visible and recognized in the BIOS as well as if I go to Device Manager under System Properties. The drive is there fully listed by model, and it is obviously powered up. Any ideas why Windows XP Prof is not assigning a letter to this drive ? It does not show up at all under " My Computer ". Many thanks in advance for the assistance !
January 13, 2010 10:26:29 PM

Quote:
I wanted to incorporate an old IDE hard drive with some data on it, into this new system. I hooked it up via the standard IDE flat cable, and the hardware settings are set to Slave Drive.

Why is it setup as a slave drive? Move it to master, use the connector on the end, and try again.
January 13, 2010 10:40:46 PM

Thanks 4745454b - The new SATA drive has the XP operating system on it, so I thought that would be the master, as in the older IDE drive system setups. Does that not apply to SATA system setups anymore ? I will try setting the drive to Master and see what happens. Thanks !
Related resources
January 14, 2010 3:06:55 AM

First, SATA and IDE are completely seperate systems. They don't interact with each other at all. Its like trying to set jumpers on your disk because you added an USB drive. Second, SATA doesn't really use jumpers. Many drives have a jumper to force SATA I operation, but you don't normally have to worry about that. Set the IDE drive properly and you should be good.
January 14, 2010 4:19:09 AM

I had also the same arrangement in my Desktop. I have IDE and SATA drives mixed. Installed WinXP in SATA and assigned IDE as slave. It worked fine. By the way... how many partitions you have in total in your SATA drive?
!