Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I have the following build:

Antec 300
Antec Earthwatts 650
Intel i5
Gigabyte P55-UD3R
WD Caviar Black 640 gig
Saphire 4890 (Basic version not the toxic or vapor x)
Lite ON DVD Drive
G.Skill Trident 4gig DDR3 2000 memory (PC3 16000)
Windows 7

Having cold boot issues. Running stock settings on ram and cpu. If it sits for longer than a day I'll get a bsod right after the windows chime and before you would enter your password and logon. It's hit and miss if I get the bsod but ONLY happens on cold boot after a day or two. If it's been ran in the same day no bsod. I basically have to reboot a bunch and then eventually it will start just fine.

The computer runs perfect once it boots properly and has NO issues with stability afterwards. I tested the ram overnight with memtest and it had no errors even after a ton of cycles. What else should I do to narrow down this cold boot problem?

Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to their recommended specs in the BIOS? Memtest is good at detecting RAM errors, but not very good at detecting incorrect RAM settings. I've seen a system pass an overnight pass of Memtest86+ but fail under normal use. The fix for that particular system was to raise the RAM voltage. It's been running fine since.

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Specs on the ram are:

Up to 2000mhz

Cas latency: 9

Timing: 9-9-9-24

Voltage: 1.65

I have it set at the moment to:

1600mhz

Cas: 9

Timing: 9 9 9 24

Command rate 1T

Voltage 1.65

These should be well fine for this ram. It's seriously underclocked at the moment. I just want stability on cold boot before I start O.C.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I'm curious, how did you get your RAM to run at 1600? With the i5 750 that's not possible without changing other settings that effectively OC your rig. The motherboard may balance out those changes, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Also, please post a link to your exact RAM. Either on a retail site (such as new egg) or directly to G.Skill's site.

Finally, did you take shortstuff's suggestion and run memtest86+ yet? http://www.memtest.org/

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Sorry, it's at stock settings. 20x multiplier and 10x memory multi I believe that puts it at 1300 (not at home at the moment to check) that was my typo on the memory. The ram is rated up to 2000 so at 1300 it's underclocked a great deal.

Yes, I ran memtest86+ all night without a single error. Manually entered all the ram specs. My mobo won't do 1.65v so I've tried it at 1.64v and 1.66v both with the same results.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231282

What I don't understand is why the bsod only occurs if it's sat for a minimum of one day (often with one day it starts just fine but almost always with it sitting for two days or more it will bsod).

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

See below. On another note, is that your jeep in the avatar? If so it's sweet. I'm big into wheeling myself.

I'm actually driving my Dad's Jeep in that picture. I had an '85 4-Runner that was an awesome wheeler, but 70mph + a black ice patch took care of that rig. I don't currently have a wheeling rig. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram to haul the family now. One day I'll get back into it.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I'll be honest, I've seen a lot of cold boot issues never get solved. A couple more promising threads I found suggested:
1. Set RAM values manually, that the board trying to find the right V and timings caused it to reboot. But you've done that right?
2. A couple people said setting the Vcore manually fixed their problem. One person said they pulled the PSU plugs off the motherboard and reseated them. The problem went away, and they noticed that the Vcore, though on Auto, was running a tad bit higher after they reseated the PSU then it was before.
3. Another person I tried to help last fall told me Gigabyte told him he needed an ATX v2.3 PSU and when he got one the problem went away.

mattyg1985

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Don't know if this will help, but I helped a friend build a computer with a Gigabyte board and he had cold boot BSOD issues too. After much googling I found a site that suggested disabling legacy USB support. We did and the computer hasn't had an issue since.

I think it is actually a Windows 7 issue, but it might be worth a try.

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks guys, I'll try the legacy support thing. For now I just put it to sleep and it works great BUT, if I have to move the computer or for season shut it down I'm back to the BSOD.

ozzy702

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I disabled the legacy usb but still have the cold bot issues. For now what I do is just put it to sleep instead of shutting down but would really like to figure out what the problem is. Is it possible it's some how power supply related? I have a new earthwatts 650 that should have enough juice for mysetup and like I said, things run great once booted into windows so I have no clue.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Sorry you haven't found a solution. I suppose it could be PSU, there are 3 threads I'm watching right now with this issue and all have Antec. But they're different models. So I would be somewhat surprised. That being said, a couple of people who have reported fixes were power related. Here's the odd assortment of fixes people have posted so far:

1. Update BIOS

2. Set RAM values manually, that the board trying to find the right V and timings caused it to reboot. Set: V, Frequency, and Timing.

3. A couple people said setting the Vcore manually fixed their problem. One person said they pulled the PSU plugs off the motherboard and reseated them. The problem went away, and they noticed that the Vcore, though on Auto, was running a tad bit higher after they reseated the PSU then it was before.

4. Another person I tried to help last fall told me Gigabyte informed him he needed an ATX v2.3 PSU and when he got one the problem went away.

5. Turn off Legacy USB support in the BIOS.

6. Replace RAM with a different set.

And here's a couple other threads with people who are currently having the problem:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274319-28-takes-boot-mornings
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268794-30-memory-errors-gone
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278342-31-cold-boot-issues-build