Samsung SP2504C not seen in BIOS

tallkris

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
The USB ports on my old HP (Win XP) died and I figured it was a good time to get a new computer.

I bought a Dell Insprion 580 (Win 7).

I took the hard drive out of my hold HP and then donated the computer.

When I put the HD in my new Dell it does not show up in the BIOS, and when connected the CD drive disappears. Both are always missing from my computer and storage management.

If I unplug the Samsung SP2504C hard drive from the SATA cable the CD drive shows back up.

I've tried different SATA cables and different SATA ports, I even unplugged the main HD and left only the old HD plugged in and the computer still didn't recognize it.

After I took the old HD out of the old computer it did nothing but sit on a shelf for about 3 weeks before I tried installing it in my new Dell.

I'm trying to avoiding paying for data recovery of the drive as there's only a few things on there that I need as they are from my father in law who recently passed away that my wife understandably has to have recovered.

Let me know what other information may be needed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

tallkris

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Yep... power is there and you can hear the drive spinning and feel the faint vibration from it.

The drive worked without issue in the old computer and short of what I've done today nothing else has been done to the drive.

tusjen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Having the same issue with this drive as well. I seem to recall that this drive is from the early s-ata days, so that it can only support S-ATA I standard, ie. 1,5 Gbit/s. If the bios is set to S-ATA II or higher, I believe that is the problem. However, I cannot confirm that this is the solution, as my new bios only supports down to S-ATA II.

tusjen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Having the same issue with this drive as well. I seem to recall that this drive is from the early s-ata days, so that it can only support S-ATA I standard, ie. 1,5 Gbit/s. If the bios is set to S-ATA II or higher, I believe that is the problem. However, I cannot confirm that this is the solution, as my new bios only supports down to S-ATA II.

PhoebeAnn

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
The SP2504C can be jumpered to support SATA I (1.5Gb/s). Instructions for doing so are printed in really tiny print on the drive label. Without the jumper, it's SATA II (3Gb/s).