JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I have my current build in my signature, and I am wondering what i should upgrade next. I'm only looking to upgrade one part and my limit is near $150. Thanks for any suggestions.

I'd like to recommend getting a newer DDR3 motherboard, but that would require buying new RAM as well.

So I would recommend doing nothing right now. Save up a little more and get a new board and RAM. My favorite recommendation for AM3 boards is the Asus M4A79XTD EVO ($110 after rebate). Some good sticks of RAM are the G.Skill Ripjwas 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 ($110).

The other option would be getting an HD 5770 GPU. They cost about $150. It's a little more powerful, and a lot more future proof with better Crossfire results and DirectX 11.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
well, i would be able to afford a new mobo, maybe not 110, but i just got this cpu thats am2+, im 99% sure they work in am3 though, right? and i love nvidia and will stick with my gpu. but i was looking at a mobo similar to that one, its just SO much work , rebuilding the whole comp basically. AND my cpu righ tnow, doesnt support ddr3...

since the 940 BE is an AM2+ processor, it will NOT work in an AM3 board

though i agree with MadAdmiral, save the money for AM3 (or LGA 1156), though if you go AM3 you would need new cpu/mem/mobo

also if you stick with AMD think about ditching the NV based boards, the AMD chipsets are usually quite a bit better, and since it looks like you only use one card you could still use NV for the GPU, just remember if you do that there would be no sli in the future

If you bought an AM3 CPU, you wouldn't NEED a new mobo, as the AM3 CPUs work in the AM2+/AM2 socket. It's not a good idea because you're stuck with DDR2 RAM.

As for nVidia/AMD, there are some that support SLI, just not many. Either way, the next GPU upgrade would probably be to an ATI card, so it shouldn't matter.

You've got it backwards. He has an AM2+ CPU. As mindless728 already pointed out, an AM2+ CPU will NOT work with an AM3 board. You're right that AM3 chips will work in some AM2+ boards after a BIOS update, but the opposite is NOT true.

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I just got this cpu less than a month ago as a gift. I realize that if i get one thing, i need to get the whole mobo/mem/cpu combo.. which i really dont want to do or need right now. and i do not ever plan on SLI, i see it as a waste of money. never will a game need two great gpus. So is there anyway that i can sort of upgrade my mobo and mem, but keep my cpu? i dont really need am3

hope so *knock on wood

though remember that not everything is performance related, you could get a new case (Antec 902, CM HAF 922), new keyboard/mouse (G110 keyboard, G9 mouse),if you want to watch blu-ray movies on the computer get a blu ray drive

just think about what you want, though saving isn't a bad thing either

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
i just got a new keyboard, i have a pretty nice mouse, was $150 at the time. and i would get a new case. but as you can see in my sig, i put alot of work into case mods on this thing.. 5 fans total now, custom airflow design lol

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Ooo that is nice looking. but there is no way in hell i would spend more than 100 on a case lol. i think ill just go with a new HD or two though... you were right about saving my money.