Only 200 mb/s write and read ?

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
The SSD is Sata3 and my motherboard supports SATA3

Not sure if the cable is SATA3, how can i know ?

I think i am using the sata3 port, well i am using the first SATA port of my motherboard, usually the first ones are SATA3

it's also not very fast to boot... i can barely notice a difference.... i cant believe i paid $300 for that :(

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Wait. Is your windows on this new disk with a clean instal? Is it windows 7?
It is almost a clean install (1 month old). I transferred it with Acronism

On some motherboards the first sata ports are not the sata3 ones so you should look at the owners manual to make sure. What is the motherboard brand and model?
And what are the rest of your specs? Lets not do this half arse.
Motherboard ASUS P7H55-M PRO
16GB DDR3 1600
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.8GHz
Seasonic 500W Power Supply
Some mid-range Radeon GFX

i don't have my board manual anymore

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
Omg looks like i have been scammed by my hardware shop... There's a sticker on the box listing the features and it clearly states "6xSata3" and the seller told me it is Sata 3.0 .... I just realised that it is not 6.0gbps

Is it worth buying a new motherboard ? Will i really notice a difference ? And btw, is it possible to change my motherboard without having to reinstall windows ?

Yes i already switched to AHCI
And i used samsung's official benchmark (Samsung SSD Magician)

Well there you go. Thats your issue.

You will see a noticeble difference BUT.
I don't think it would be worth it to get a new 1156 motherboard as they are being fazed out.
Live with it for a while and get Ivy Bridge based motherboard and Processor when you can.

You should be able to replace the board and keep your windows installation, but it is not recommended.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Sata2 is supposed to peak at 3000Gbps, which is 375MB/s. If you're only getting 200MB/s then I don't see how Sata2 could be the issue.

Of course, since transfers never go at the maximum rated speed (useless technology), I'll quote this from wikipedia: "With a native transfer rate of 3.0 Gbit/s, and taking 8b/10b encoding into account, the maximum uncoded transfer rate is 2.4 Gbit/s (300 MB/s)."

So you should get at least 300MB/s with Sata2

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
right click on your ssd, go to properties, then hardware, then select your SSD, then properties, then select policies and enable "cache writing"....it helps big time, also make sure you have some king of battery back up....it helps in case your power goes out, this way you don't lose date that's being written

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
I wrote to samsung and asked them why i get low writing speed and here's what they answered me:

Dear Customer,

The 830 Series SSD was made to take full advantage of the SATA 6 technology. The advertised speeds of this unit are a major cause because of this as that is how these numbers were calculated. Without the use of a SATA 6 port the numbers will not appear as fast.

Thank you.

I guess it's the time to update my motherboard -_- damn it, and i was sure i bought Sata6.0gbps... i will never go to that computer shop again

Do not spread misinformation. Performance of any device is not ever up to the FULL spesification.

Thats why we get different USB3 speeds on 10 different boards for an example.

First, you need a clean install. imaging from a HDD install only works with limited success.
2nd, do a search on Tom's for SSD optimizations, when I installed my wife's SSD those changes made a huge difference in performance.
Cold boot time on my wife's Core2Duo is ~10sec after POST. Wake to sleep 3-4 sec, sleep to wake 2-3sec. Those are all excellent times compared to a traditional HDD, and that is on SATA2 in IDE mode on a SOLID 3 SSD which is kinda bottom of the barrel of SSDs. So even if you are not getting the full performance out of your SSD you should still be seeing some very good times.
The most raw throughput you can get through SATA2 is ~250MB/s, so you are seeing close to correct numbers there, but it sounds like your random IO is slower than it ought to be.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
2nd, do a search on Tom's for SSD optimizations, when I installed my wife's SSD those changes made a huge difference in performance.
I already did that and followed ALL instructions, didn't really change benchmark results

Cold boot time on my wife's Core2Duo is ~10sec after POST
Wow, here it takes around 30seconds..

Oh well i am going to upgrade my motherboard and hope i can see a difference... I'll also upgrade to core i7 while i'm at it...

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

That's what I just said. Perhaps you are the one who needs to stop spreading misinformation, or at least do some research beforehand. If that doesn't help, try reading someone's post properly before commenting. The theoretical maximum of Sata2 is 375MB/s. According to Wikipedia, the actual maximum is closer to 300MB/s.

I am not even going to argue.

Just one thing. Wikipedia is not a source of fact, but a source of popular belief.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Claiming you're right because wikipedia is wrong is a horrible argument in itself. Unless you have your own SSDs and Sata2 boards/cables and test it yourself, there's a strong chance wikipedia is more correct in this than you are.

I made a statement, didn't say that Wiki was wrong.

PS there is no such thing as a SATAIII cables. SATAII and SATAIII cables are identical.

ungovernable

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 14, 2011
So i bought a brand new high-quality motherboard with a new core i7 2600k processor. My SSD is now in Sata 6.0gbps

benchmark results are now 500mb/s read BUT only 300mb/s write .... why the hell am ii still getting low write speeds :(

BTW i did optimize it for performence as recommended