Jaime4968

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hello, so I'm trying to configure my Linksys Wireless -G access point WAP54G with my D-Link WBR-1310 wireless router. So I can use the WAP Downstairs with our Bravia HD TV and my Wii and soon laptop. What do I need to do? I'm okay with this sort of thing but not very good so I need step by step if possible. Thanks.

It depends on the type of bridging you need. You’ve presented a mix of wired and wireless devices, so it’s not clear what your intentions are.

You can always create a WIRED bridge using an Ethernet cable between the WBR-1310 and the WAP54G to create a local wireless hotspot. That’s pretty easy.

Wired Bridge to a Wireless Access Point (aka AP mode)
[wbr-1310]<-- wire -->[wap54g]<-- wireless -->[various wireless devices]

The problem comes if you want to create a WIRELESS bridge.

Wireless Bridge to a Wired Access Point (aka AP Client mode)
[wbr-1310]<-- wireless -->[wap54g]<-- wire -->[various wired devices]

Wireless Bridge to a Wireless Access Point (aka Wireless Repeater mode)
[wbr-1310]<-- wireless -->[wap54g]<-- wireless -->[various wireless devices]

The WAP54G (in AP Client or Wireless Repeater mode) uses a technology called WDS to support wireless bridging. But WDS is not a WiFi certified protocol, so implementations vary widely, and thus compatibility is a common problem. For all intents and purposes, your WAP54G will only wirelessly bridge to another WAP54G (and possibly a Linksys WRT54G router, but not even sure about that). IOW, even getting it to work w/ the SAME manufacturer is a challenge. But now you’re trying to wirelessly bridge to a DIFFERENT manufacturer (D-Link). While you can always try, your chances of success are probably 1/100.

What you really want/need is a “universal” wireless Ethernet bridge which will wireless bridge to ANY wireless router/AP.

Jaime4968

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
my biggest intention is plugging the WAP directly into my tv to access the internet through that. The Wii can use the router upstairs and my laptop which I don't have yet can do the same. I'm trying to do the Netflix thing through my tv and I have the tv capable of doing that just needs a bridge. Thats where the WAP comes in. I'm buying a router Wed. so If I get A Linksys router it should have a better chance of working then right?

Using a Linksys router would certainly improve your chances, but I was reading the manual and it only specifically mentioned using another WAP54G. *I* added the possibility of the WRT54G router since it's been around for so long, and if any router was going to work, I figured that would be the one. But again, officially, Linksys only mentions the WAP54G.

What you might want to consider is installing dd-wrt (third party firmware) on the WAP54G (according to the dd-wrt database, it’s supported w/ v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, v3.0, or v3.1). That would allow you to use it as either a wireless Ethernet bridge (wired clients) or a wireless repeater bridge (wired and wireless clients). At least it wouldn’t cost you anything.