Your question
Solved

HTPC dreams not coming true

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2010 12:57:13 AM

OK. I give up. I can't really figure this out.
My problem is the computer coming out of sleep state. Windows Media Center gets all messed up.
The whole idea of the HTPC going into S3 sleep mode with WMC active to be woken up and ready to run is not working out.

My setup is:
W7 Ultimate on 500GB WD Green (all media on a 4Tb server)
Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT
AMD Phenom 2 X3 705e 2.5Ghz
4 x 1GB Gskill DDR3 1066, 1.65v, 8-8-8-21 timings set in bios. Memtest 6 passes checked good.
Seasonic 500W modular 80+ Bronze
System temps ridiculously low, CPU idle avg 21deg C with CPUID, 26 from Bios health
Using the ATI HD radeon 4200 onboard graphics with sideport mem active and onboard audio through HDMI to my Denon receiver then 720P Plasma.

From poweron or restart things work great. Wake her up and she's a cranky little thang and don't wanna play nice.

Here come the stupid questions....
Could this be a RAM, video driver (all updated) or a bios setting I am not aware of?
Should I RMA my mobo, Antec case, hdmi cable, PSU, ram, CPU or puppy? Just kidding. Well, maybe not with the puppy, he chewed up my Harmony One remote the other day.
Anybody have any ideas what I could do to fix this or am I doomed to shutting down all the time?

More about : htpc dreams coming true

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 14, 2010 2:48:55 PM

If your problem is video playback being broken after coming back from S3, then the problem is the ATI video drivers. It's well-documented that after Catalyst 9.8 ATI broke video playback when resuming from sleep with the HD4200 onboard video. In fact video playback will totally lock the system for me.

If you are running 9.9, 9.10, 9.11, or 9.12 uninstall your catalyst drivers. Find a download of Catalyst 9.8 and use that until the problem is fixed.

If video playback is not your problem, can you describe better what exactly is the problem you are experiencing?

Edit: I've also been experiencing problem using ATI's AHCI driver for my hard drives. I have to use the default Win7 AHCI driver. AMD/ATI needs to get their S**T together with their drivers. BTW, my motherboard is a GA-MA785G-UD3H.
January 15, 2010 12:22:11 AM

rwpritchett said:
If your problem is video playback being broken after coming back from S3, then the problem is the ATI video drivers.
If you are running 9.9, 9.10, 9.11, or 9.12 uninstall your catalyst drivers.

You got it. That Pretty much sums it up. I was running CCC 9.10. I went with that when I upgraded to W7

I have 9.6 thru 9.10 versions downloaded. I am SO SICK of these #$#$!%$'n drivers.
OK. I un-installed 9.10 and loaded 9.8. Several forced sleeps later it definitely seems to be working now.

In addition to rolling back to 9.8 I also changed my HTPC/receiver/TV setup because I also had an audio problem using HDMI from HTPC to receiver upon wakeup if the receiver was off. Edit: and after turning the receiver on the audio just would not work. Also when I did a normal startup or restart things like when WMC starts the audio kicks in halfway through the splash screen, same with the windows splash screen. Essentially I am using fiber optic for audio now. Everything is MUCH smoother.
Edit: AMD/ATI needs to get their S**T together with their drivers. said:
Edit: AMD/ATI needs to get their S**T together with their drivers.
Amen brother.....Amen

You are the man, my friend. Thank you for setting me straight.....again.
m
l