Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hoe to upgrade graphics card with pixel shader 2 0

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 8, 2010 12:48:38 PM

hello, I have an averatec 6240 notebook that i have just upgraded to 2gb ddr sodimm ram and upgraded the hd from 80 to 160 gb. I need to upgrade the video card to support pixel shader 2 in order to play the sims 3. I do not have a clue how to do this. I am under the impression from research that my video card may actually be attached to my mother board if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I currently have an SiSM760 graphics card and am operating with Windows xp 64 bit
a c 1362 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 12:59:33 PM

Upgrading the graphics in a laptop is not an option! I think though that it supports shaders 2.0
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 1:28:36 PM

That chipset supports shader 1.3 im afraid and i dont know if its possable to upgrade it via software to run 2.0 or not.

Mactronix
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 1:32:58 PM

As far as i can find out your chipset isnt upgradeable at all, I think im right in saying you have what would be called Mirage 2 and Shader 2.0 would need a Mirage 3 chipset.

Mactronix
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 1:49:08 PM

mactronix said:
As far as i can find out your chipset isnt upgradeable at all, I think im right in saying you have what would be called Mirage 2 and Shader 2.0 would need a Mirage 3 chipset.

Mactronix


thanx for the research and help.. im trying to figure out now if i can upgrade my board with a better graphics card
m
0
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 1:52:46 PM

bettyboopster74 said:
thanx for the research and help.. im trying to figure out now if i can upgrade my board with a better graphics card

It might be time to upgrade the whole laptop!
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 1:57:01 PM

bettyboopster74 said:
thanx for the research and help.. im trying to figure out now if i can upgrade my board with a better graphics card


Not a problem at all my pleasure :)  Finding out these things is a lot easier if you know where you are looking in the first place.

rolli59 is right though its looking like time to get a new laptop. laptop graphics and boards are usually not upgradable unless you are talking about a very expensive highend model.

Mactronix
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 2:02:44 PM

rolli59 said:
It might be time to upgrade the whole laptop!


lol.. if i hadnt just upgraded the hd and ram id be a lot more willing to buy new. ive searched ebay and i can get mb's a lot cheaper than buying a new laptp. i just need help finding one that will fit my system and components while being a tru upgrade and not just a replacement for what i already have.
m
0
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 2:06:45 PM

Might be an idea to try and find some Moding guides for your laptop on the net. The thing with laptops is that they tend not to play nice like a desktop system with a lot of it being propriatry. Meaning that right down to where the mounting holes for the boards are is differant from one make to the next.
Im sure that if you are that way minded that its doable but far from easy.

Mactronix
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 2:09:48 PM

yup i agree with mactronix, its time to change the whole laptop,

i am making a guess that the graphics card is probably like a nvidia 7300GS i used on my previous lappy, whereby upgrading it is not possible. whereby the graphics card is somewhat "embedded" onto the motherboard?


m
0
l
January 8, 2010 2:12:34 PM

mactronix said:
Might be an idea to try and find some Moding guides for your laptop on the net. The thing with laptops is that they tend not to play nice like a desktop system with a lot of it being propriatry. Meaning that right down to where the mounting holes for the boards are is differant from one make to the next.
Im sure that if you are that way minded that its doable but far from easy.

Mactronix

well maybe i need to reconsider handing it over tomy 6 yr old and biting the bullet on a new one for myself!... :) 
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 2:15:50 PM

GAGN said:
yup i agree with mactronix, its time to change the whole laptop,

i am making a guess that the graphics card is probably like a nvidia 7300GS i used on my previous lappy, whereby upgrading it is not possible. whereby the graphics card is somewhat "embedded" onto the motherboard?


it is a SiSM760 graphics card and yes... saudered right to the darn mb.. argh
m
0
l
!