Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

X4 9950 vs X4 630

Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2010 3:08:27 PM

which is better ? give me tests if possible, tnx

More about : 9950 630

a b à CPUs
March 19, 2010 3:41:20 PM

the Athlon II x4 630 is gonna be better. Its AM3, basically the same performance range, and its cooler. the 9950 is RIDICULOUSLY Hot. If they are similar price, just get the 630 and don't think about it. AM3 + DDR3 = WIN over AM2+ + DDR2, and you'll be much more upgradeable.
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
March 19, 2010 5:08:58 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Well,

1- Both have 4 cores, BUT the 9950 have cache L3 (2MB, BUT isn't much), the 630 don't have it. This is necessary for some heavy games.
2- The 630 is 45nm, but the 9950 is 65nm, in this case is better the 630.
3- The 9950 is a old 140W processor, the 630 is 95W
4- The 9950 is BE, means unlock multiplier BUT the 1st Phenom generation isn't a good OC processor, while the you can OC the 630 to 3.5GHz or more.
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2010 5:22:37 PM

The 9950 is only a good upgrade for AM2 Motherboards that support it...

630 is far better for all the points listed above.

Correction the 9950 has been re-released under 125W
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2010 5:24:22 PM

Even the 125W re-released version is HOTTER than CRAP. 630 is still far better even than the 125W version.
March 20, 2010 2:56:33 AM

Yes...I had the 9950, and it would only go up to 3.2ghz. 630, even 620 seems to go pretty well above 3.5, where it will outperform 9950 at 3.2. And yes, it was very very hot.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 3:15:32 AM

To the OP:
Are you planning of putting it in an existing mother board or are you building from scratch? If you are building from scratch then you need to ask more question than just about CPU.
But to answer the question, I'd go for the X4 630.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 3:35:29 AM

I would avoid the original phenoms like the plague.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 4:24:01 AM

I ran across a 620 x4 for 70.00 and free shipping on ebay, lol. It works great. I would forget about the 9950 and go for the 630...
a c 131 à CPUs
March 20, 2010 4:55:51 AM

In general, the extra 200MHz of the Athlon IIx4 630 over the 9950 will make up for the 9950's extra cache.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 6:15:55 AM

Phenom I were not so good.
Avoid them.


Get the Athlon II.
a c 105 à CPUs
March 20, 2010 1:28:09 PM

randomkid said:
To the OP:
Are you planning of putting it in an existing mother board or are you building from scratch? If you are building from scratch then you need to ask more question than just about CPU.
But to answer the question, I'd go for the X4 630.


This is the CPU forum and he asked a CPU question. The general build forum is for building from scratch so the OP did asked an appropriate question in the appropriate forum. Also, I don't recall the OP asking for our opinions on anything else, if he wants it he can ask for it. Otherwise keep your narcissistic idiot opinions to yourself.
a c 131 à CPUs
March 20, 2010 2:14:16 PM

ct1615 said:
This is the CPU forum and he asked a CPU question. The general build forum is for building from scratch so the OP did asked an appropriate question in the appropriate forum. Also, I don't recall the OP asking for our opinions on anything else, if he wants it he can ask for it. Otherwise keep your narcissistic idiot opinions to yourself.


I don't quite follow on how this opinion is narcissistic or idiotic. If you could explain that to me, that would be great.

Sounds to me like he was concerned and covering all the bases. He also did answer the op's question. There is no need for you to be rude and insulting.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 2:47:45 PM

enzo matrix said:
I don't quite follow on how this opinion is narcissistic or idiotic. If you could explain that to me, that would be great.

Sounds to me like he was concerned and covering all the bases. He also did answer the op's question. There is no need for you to be rude and insulting.



+1

In fact randomkid's question does makes sense.
a c 105 à CPUs
March 20, 2010 5:21:23 PM

enzo matrix said:
I don't quite follow on how this opinion is narcissistic or idiotic. If you could explain that to me, that would be great.


too many people on this forum want approval over someone's build, and the majority simply look at their own build and then state opinions based on matching manufactures and parts.

If I asked a simple question on the CPU forum (like the OP) then I don't want people's opinion of "omg u need to upgrade ur PSU cuz it does not match mine!!!". I want to know if CPU A is faster then CPU B. If I (or the poster) want mobo advice (or any other part), then the question will be asked. If someone wants build advice, we have the general build forum.


a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 6:14:31 PM

I see both sides of this guys, but its not worth arguing over. If someone wants to ask a question, answer it. If you think having more info would help you answer it, ask for more info. The OP can give, or not give, any info he/she wants. Its not ridiculous to ask that.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 6:32:54 PM

There is no 'both sides' to this argument. The original Phenoms were crap and the Athlon 2x4 are not crap.

Athlon > P1.
a c 105 à CPUs
March 20, 2010 6:35:24 PM

werxen said:
There is no 'both sides' to this argument. The original Phenoms were crap and the Athlon 2x4 are not crap.

Athlon > P1.


Fly was not talking about that argument but the "what info should you offer" one

Fly knows his stuff, he knows what the Phenom I are
a c 78 à CPUs
March 20, 2010 6:37:21 PM

Agree... We have answered the OP's question. The Athlon II X4 630 is the better CPU. Now, we wait for feedback from the OP... wait, wait, & wait some more until we move on... :) 
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 6:42:55 PM

Werxen- clearly on this particular subject there is no argument as the Athlon II is superior to the phenom I. but if you actually read my post and the ones preceding it, you'd know what I WAS talking about.
a c 83 à CPUs
March 20, 2010 7:03:13 PM

Does anyone posting here actually own both a Phenom and Athlon II? They perform almost identical clock for clock, only advantage Athlon II has is 45nm allowing higher clock speeds and lower power consumption.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 7:11:36 PM

loneninja said:
Does anyone posting here actually own both a Phenom and Athlon II? They perform almost identical clock for clock, only advantage Athlon II has is 45nm allowing higher clock speeds and lower power consumption.


Athlon overclocks much higher on top of the suggested so in theory it goes faster.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 7:12:57 PM

Actually Loneninja, I HAVE owned both. I still own an Athlon II and I got rid of my Phenom. Yes they perform similar clock for clock, BUT there are some significant differences. Phenom was HOTTER THAN HECK, and VERY power hungry (even the latest stepping of the 9950 was a 125W TDP part), and overclocked like CRAP. I could get my Phenom 9950 to about 3.1 GHz, while the Athlon can overclock much better (haven't overclocked my Athlon II as its my wife's PC and she doesn't need more power so why increase the heat and power usage) look at the x3 that they used in the SBM- unlock the 4th core AND OC to 3.5. much better part, while being cooler and using less power.
March 20, 2010 7:15:19 PM

The X4 630 lacking the L3 cache will not hurt real world performance that much. Also the benefits of AM3 platform support with DDR3 RAM would boost overall system performance. The 9950 also runs hotter. My vote is for the X4 630.
a b à CPUs
March 20, 2010 7:17:37 PM

jesmoke said:
The X4 630 lacking the L3 cache will not hurt real world performance that much. Also the benefits of AM3 platform support with DDR3 RAM would boost overall system performance. The 9950 also runs hotter. My vote is for the X4 630.


Honestly if it was me I would just save up for a p2. That would kill both processors hands down.
a c 131 à CPUs
March 21, 2010 12:11:41 AM

Quote:
which is better ? give me tests if possible, tnx

Well, a couple of people have given links to tests, but if you want to find more, I find the best google searchterm is "Athlon IIx4 630 review". Without quotes. Most of the reviews include benchmarks and hopefully some of them chose to include the older phenom in their tests.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2010 3:49:47 AM

ct1615 said:
Otherwise keep your narcissistic idiot opinions to yourself.

I can say this same thing to you, but if I do, then I stoop down to your level.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2010 5:26:45 AM

The fact is many newbies just ask the question where they should tell the whole situation.

For example:
Like a newb has bought a HD 4890.He came to know that His generic PSU is not enough.
And he asks "What's the price of Coolermaser 460W PSU?"

So it is better to ask them what do you want to do with the PSU and that's what Randomkid tried to do.
a c 131 à CPUs
March 21, 2010 11:39:59 PM

ct1615 said:
too many people on this forum want approval over someone's build, and the majority simply look at their own build and then state opinions based on matching manufactures and parts.

If I asked a simple question on the CPU forum (like the OP) then I don't want people's opinion of "omg u need to upgrade ur PSU cuz it does not match mine!!!". I want to know if CPU A is faster then CPU B. If I (or the poster) want mobo advice (or any other part), then the question will be asked. If someone wants build advice, we have the general build forum.


He didn't go that far. In fact, he may not have even been steering in that direction. You also still have not explained why his comment was narcissistic or idiotic.
He offered valid advice just in case the op was in the situation of building from scratch and wanting more advice. The op can accept or decline that opportunity. Unlike some who do this, he even also answered the op's question with a valid answer.

I've only responded because three others have just made posts responding to you. I really think we should instead get back on topic.

To the asdfg123: Have we answered your question or would you like more specifics, details etc?
a c 105 à CPUs
March 21, 2010 11:46:06 PM

enzo matrix said:

He offered valid advice just in case the op was in the situation of building from scratch and wanting more advice. The op can accept or decline that opportunity. Unlike some who do this, he even also answered the op's question with a valid answer.


1) if he is building from scratch then he can ask for such help, but he didn't state that so now you are just speaking for the OP.
2) i stand by my comment as idiot and narcissistic of anyone to nominate themselves "supervisor" of someones build without first being asked by that person for help.
3) if you want to get back on the original question, then why do you keep asking me questions? Ill assume your next post will be back on topic and not continuing this discussion...
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2010 11:18:10 AM

ct1615 said:
1) if he is building from scratch then he can ask for such help, but he didn't state that so now you are just speaking for the OP.
2) i stand by my comment as idiot and narcissistic of anyone to nominate themselves "supervisor" of someones build without first being asked by that person for help.
3) if you want to get back on the original question, then why do you keep asking me questions? Ill assume your next post will be back on topic and not continuing this discussion...

1. But CT1615, when you called my comment "nacissistic & idiotic" aren't you yourself speaking for the OP? What made you think the OP has the same thing in mind? And I don't mind if he does but you should have let him speak/type it himself.
2. But don't we all becomes "supervisor" when an OP ask for advise? And to give the better if not the best advice, we need to have as much information which sometimes the OP might just have honestly never thought is relevant to his question.
3. The topic has been answered and we are just waiting for the anonymous OP who haven't said a word for 3 days... so I guess we have some time to ourselves anyway in this thread... :) 
a c 99 à CPUs
March 22, 2010 11:33:26 AM

Quote:
which is better ? give me tests if possible, tnx


The question nobody has asked so far is what machine are you putting the CPU into? If you are doing a from-the-ground-up new build, the Athlon II X4 630 is the better chip, for reasons already discussed. Get it, some DDR3, and a nice AM3 board and you'll be happy. If you are upgrading an existing AM2 system, the Phenom may be a better choice as the Athlon II may not be supported.
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2010 1:11:45 PM

Quote:
which is better ? give me tests if possible, tnx


Tbh, we are all putting too much effort into a short post by an anonymous poster with a 0 posting rating. Perhaps we wont be getting a reply from the OP at all? We will see... :heink: 
a c 131 à CPUs
March 22, 2010 2:03:14 PM

MU_Engineer said:
The question nobody has asked so far is what machine are you putting the CPU into?


So ct1615, are you going to call this person idiotic and narcissistic too?
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2010 2:23:54 PM

enzo matrix said:
So ct1615, are you going to call this person idiotic and narcissistic too?


Now that makes me Lol :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2010 2:39:26 PM

Haha- +1 Enzo matrix :-D
a c 105 à CPUs
March 22, 2010 7:48:19 PM

enzo matrix said:
So ct1615, are you going to call this person idiotic and narcissistic too?


thanks for proving my point about you wanting to get back to the OP question as a load of crap :lol: 
March 22, 2010 7:58:05 PM

ct1615 said:
thanks for proving my point about you wanting to get back to the OP question as a load of crap :lol: 


He wasn't the one who replied off-topic in such a way as to provoke a response.
a c 105 à CPUs
March 22, 2010 8:34:21 PM

enzo matrix said:
I really think we should instead get back on topic.


he can choke on his lies for all i care...
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2010 8:40:02 PM

Wow guys- lets just let it go. Its not a big deal.
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2010 10:36:08 PM

This thread is priceless... :)  and X4 630 is still and will always be better than X4 9950.

The OP used to have the name "asdfg123" and in fact it still appears in the thread list as the starter of this thread. Now it has become "Anonymous" so does it mean he deleted his account?

a b à CPUs
March 23, 2010 12:50:17 AM

Thats the point I was trying to make earlier. I doubt the OP is even coming back to reply. Probably someone here with an old account created a new account and started a thread to see what happens.

I'm sure he got what he wanted... = P
a c 131 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 4:01:23 AM

ct1615 said:
he can choke on his lies for all i care...

Yeah I guess I didn't stick true to that. Oh well, the op isn't coming back anyway.
You can leave the thread if you want.

So why you gotta be so mean to people? I thought you were just having a bad day until you continued with the streak.
I mean, you still haven't explained how narcissism and idiocy fit into randomkids comments? I see your points but they don't point to that. I'm also surprised you chose to post about it in this thread, considering I have seen cases where what you described randomkid as doing has actually happened.
a c 133 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 4:20:42 AM

This is not the first time this CT1615 decides hes holier then thou and acts like a fool and makes false accusations.
a c 105 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 4:40:05 AM

saaiello said:
This is not the first time this CT1615 decides hes holier then thou and acts like a fool and makes false accusations.


don't forget smarter then thou and makes saeiello look like a fool more often then anyone else on the board, and with your constant spamming of replies that is not easy as you may think...
a c 133 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 4:51:17 AM

Its funny how you lie. You have never proved anything i have said wrong EVER you have never came up with anything i ever saw that makes sense. And saying i spam makes yourself look stupid because to spam means to advertise last i checked we are on a hardware forum where people ask for suggestions on products so making a suggestion on what they are asking about is not spamming. You like to sit there and try so hard to make yourself look good and sound like you know something and you fail every time end of story. So go ahead spread your lies and hatred if it makes you happy but just know that your pathetic attempt of trying to sound like you know something makes you look dumber and dumber.
a c 105 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 4:58:33 AM

have done it several times...its kind of fun
a c 133 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 5:00:27 AM

prove it
!