Solved

Whether I can play Oblivion on my new computer

All,
Thanks in advance for any advice you all provide. I have no expertise in computers and am very appreciative of your help.

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron Desktop 537s SlimTower. Here are the basic specs:

-- Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E5300 (2M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
-- RAM: 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)
-- Graphics Card: 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350

I have four questions:

1) Would I be able to play Oblivion on my computer at all?

2) If I can play Oblivion, at what resolution/quality settings would you estimate I can do so?

3) Would a new graphics card under $150 that could be installed in my computer be able to substantially improve performance?

4) If a new card would improve performance, which would you suggest.


Thanks again!!!!
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about whether play oblivion computer
  1. The 4350 is not a gaming card, but an entry level card.
    You can play Oblivion on medium settings with lowered resolutions.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2464-8.html


    For $150, you can get a very good GPU. However, the main problems are:
    1. Is your PSU power supply good enough?
    2. Can you overclock your E5300?

    If you have a good power supply and you can overclock the E5300, I suggest a 4870 for $150 or a 5770 for $160 (both perform about the same).

    If you don't have a good power supply and/or you can't overclock, I suggest getting a 5750. It costs around $130-$140, and performs equal to a 4850 or GTS250/9800GTX. It will play most games at high with decent resolutions.

    The 5750 also very little power (equal to the 4830), so you can run it on a minimum of a Dell PSU of or over 305watts.
  2. According to this;
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/corp/desktops/desktop-inspiron-537s/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-inspiron-537s&s=corp
    Your PSU is only 250w which isn't good. The best you can do is an HD4670 but that's still much better than your current card. It will allow you to play all current games at reasonable settings at resolution 1280x1024 and under.
  3. jyjjy said:
    According to this;
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/corp/desktops/desktop-inspiron-537s/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-inspiron-537s&s=corp
    Your PSU is only 250w which isn't good. The best you can do is an HD4670 but that's still much better than your current card. It will allow you to play all current games at reasonable settings at resolution 1280x1024 and under.



    I'm open to spending up to $150. Would one of these external power supplies help the low wattage problem?

    Thanks again...
  4. Make sure whatever video card you purchase can fit in your case, I dont know if those slim towers can hold normal video cards?
  5. Yeah, I just realized your case is "slim" which means it needs a low profile card so the HD4670 is out. The is a low profile 9600GT and 9800GT which are actually better but I doubt your PSU could handle them. The best card I'm seeing on newegg right now that will work for your PSU/case is this;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121347
    What external PSU are you referring to?
  6. anarchy4sale said:
    Make sure whatever video card you purchase can fit in your case, I dont know if those slim towers can hold normal video cards?

    They can not! A low profile card is needed!
  7. Yeh, in that case you probably should get a low profile 4670 for around $60 or so.

    It can play Oblivion on high settings with good resolution.
  8. Is there a way for me to increase the power supply in the machine in order to be able to use better cards?
  9. Bluescreendeath said:
    Yeh, in that case you probably should get a low profile 4670 for around $60 or so.

    It can play Oblivion on high settings with good resolution.
    Where are you seeing low profile HD4670s?
  10. The only way is to buy another power supply that fits your slim case.
  11. jyjjy said:
    Where are you seeing low profile HD4670s?


    I thought I saw one at Microcenter a while back. It also might've been a 4650 DDR2 or DDR3.
  12. I'm not sure there are any low profile HD4670 cards, and the GT220 is four tiers higher than the HD4650.
  13. Please tell me you didn't spend $100 on the 4350 video card upgrade. I'm pretty sure that's Dell's asking price. *rolls eyes*
  14. Onus said:
    I'm not sure there are any low profile HD4670 cards, and the GT220 is four tiers higher than the HD4650.

    I don't think the GT 220 is accurately placed on that chart. Everything I'm reading says it's similar in performance to a 9500GT. It's still the best he is likely to do however.
  15. rodney_ws said:
    Please tell me you didn't spend $100 on the 4350 video card upgrade. I'm pretty sure that's Dell's asking price. *rolls eyes*


    It's a scratch and dent unit I got for $400 off the Dell outlet site. Even without the card the regular retail would have been well over that. I considered the graphics card a bonus, and it is - I'm playing games like Dungeon Siege II and Morrowind with great graphics for those games, I just want to see how much I have to invest in the system to take it up a level...
  16. Best answer
    Yeah, your current card is decent for older games. It should let you play Oblivion with medium settings at low resolution(1280x1024 and lower.) With your current PSU and the low profile requirement you CAN get a better card but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money to be honest.
  17. jyjjy said:
    Yeah, your current card is decent for older games. It should let you play Oblivion with medium settings at low resolution(1280x1024 and lower.) With your current PSU and the low profile requirement you CAN get a better card but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money to be honest.


    3 questions, apologies that these are very basic:
    1) Can I upgrade the power supply to a higher wattage?

    2) Can this upgraded power supply be external to the computer to get around space contraints

    3) Can I put in a higher performance low profile graphics card than the geforce 220 if I upgrade the power supply?
  18. Yeah, with a new PSU you would be able to use the low profile 9800GT which is a very large upgrade over your current card. However your psu is definitely an abnormal form factor which will make it expensive and limit your options. The layouts inside those slim cases often make replacing the PSU quite difficult as well. Maybe someone else would have better advice on your options on that and whether or not it's worth considering.
    If you have a 5.25" drive bay free you could get a supplemental PSU like this;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104054&Tpk=supplementary%20power
    but I kind of doubt that you do.
  19. whether i can play metal solid gear 4 : gun of the patriots game ?
    my pc has the following description :


    Driver Version: 6.14.10.4436
    Operating System: Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600)
    Default Language: English
    DirectX* Version: 9.0
    Physical Memory: 2039 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 64 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 8 MB
    Processor: x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Speed: 2200 MHZ
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 2772
    Device Revision: 02

    plz, reply at hh836499@gmail .com or tell which games i can play best on this configuration
  20. Good question. Start your own thread, and I'm sure you'll get useful comments.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Oblivion Computer Graphics Product