My brother spilled tea on the keyboard...

avitous

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
My brother spilled tea on the keyboard of my Compaq Presario 700z. A few keys don't work: The Spacebar, Function, B, N, left Alt, and left Ctrl. I don't know how to go about fixing this and I don't want to have to buy a new keyboard or a new laptop. Help?

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Turn the computer off and remove the battery. Splash about two cap-fulls of rubbing alcohol around the non-working keys and leave it off for 48 hours. Do -not- power it on until the keyboard has a chance to dry completely. The idea is to get the rubbing alcohol to dilute the tea residue and to evaporate dry.

90 percent Isopropyl alcohol is the best to use for cleaning electronic components
NOTHING with ammonia (windex,409 etc)
Iso alc is found at any pharmacy usually
Rubbing alcohol is the same stuff but mixed with menthol and other fragrances

BTW replacing a laptop kybd is generally VERY easy
My 10 year old Dell Vostro 1000 keyboard was ruined
Cost me 10 bucks on ebay and a half hour to swap out

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

Rubbing alcohol (I think), will remove the finish on your keyboard. It will not damage it, but since it is so strong it will remove all the wax etc. in the finish and make your keyboard not look like new. As it does for other things, like finish on wood, rubber, plastic, leather.

There is a way you can remove the keyboard panel on most laptops. I would look that up on your model. And rinse that keyboard panel with water. And check your for any damage inside the laptop. Be careful not to void your warranty if you have any.

avitous

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
This laptop is too old of a computer. I've looked for ways to remove the keyboard, but I can't find anything helpful and I'm afraid to experiment to take it off.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

That's strange because I've never had that issue happen. I've used it to clean many surfaces with no ill effect, including laptop keyboards, cpu heatsinks, surfaces, removing grime/fringerprings from devices, and even sticker residue. Never seen any wear or any negative effect on it.