Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will radeon 4770 work @ 300w PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 8, 2010 3:00:39 PM

Hi I really need your help. Basically, I want to put a graphic card, hopefully HD4770, into a HP p6180t. It uses a 300W PSU, but I dont know the brand.

If not, do I have other options without change the PSU, it seems HP case has limited space for a standard PSU. How does Radeon 4670 sound? Any other suggestions?

Thanks and happy 2010
January 8, 2010 4:01:21 PM

I don't think that the PSU that came with it would be capable of running a 4770. The 4770 requires at least a 450W, but if the PSU was a good quality one, you might be able to get away with a lower wattage one.

I don't think the ones that came with the PC would be good enough.
A 4670 requires at least 400W, you could probably get away with it if the PSU is a good quality brand. A 4650, I'm sure, could work in the PC, though. It's an option to come with the PC when you order it online.

I don't know what the case for your PC looks like, so I'm not sure if you could change the PSU.
Good luck, though! Also, you can check what PSU you have if you look at it in the PC. It should say on the side.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 8, 2010 4:14:41 PM

Thanks. The case is normal HP mid tower, but I found the space is pretty limited for the PSU. Performance wise, is the 4650 similar to 4670?






Dramamine said:
I don't think that the PSU that came with it would be capable of running a 4770. The 4770 requires at least a 450W, but if the PSU was a good quality one, you might be able to get away with a lower wattage one.

I don't think the ones that came with the PC would be good enough.
A 4670 requires at least 400W, you could probably get away with it if the PSU is a good quality brand. A 4650, I'm sure, could work in the PC, though. It's an option to come with the PC when you order it online.

I don't know what the case for your PC looks like, so I'm not sure if you could change the PSU.
Good luck, though! Also, you can check what PSU you have if you look at it in the PC. It should say on the side.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 4:18:56 PM

How many amps on 12v rails does your PSU have?

Sometimes, quality Dell PSUs can get away with a 4830. HP PSUs are of lower quality, and the 4770 uses slightly more power than the 4830, so I doubt your PSU can handle it.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 4:19:41 PM

The manufacturers suggested power requirements almost uniformly have nothing to do with reality and should always be ignored.
It can probably run the HD4770 but you wont know until you try. If you can afford it an HD5750 is a better card and uses slightly less power. An HD4670 should be no problem and is a lot better than an HD4650. Some other cards to consider are the newer 96/9800GTs that don't have a power connector.
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 4:29:24 PM

19 AMP on the 12v rail. is it enough?

Bluescreendeath said:
How many amps on 12v rails does your PSU have?

Sometimes, quality Dell PSUs can get away with a 4830. HP PSUs are of lower quality, and the 4770 uses slightly more power than the 4830, so I doubt your PSU can handle it.

m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 4:50:57 PM

I think that would be ok for an HD4770 but you are pushing it a bit.
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 5:41:02 PM

Thanks a lot. I think I will try to get a 4770. If it wont work I can ebay it.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 8, 2010 5:42:50 PM

If you have the money like I said earlier an HD5750 is good idea. Better card, DX11 and uses a lil less power.
m
0
l
January 8, 2010 6:59:59 PM

jyjjy said:
If you have the money like I said earlier an HD5750 is good idea. Better card, DX11 and uses a lil less power.


Thanks a lot. How much power does 5750 need? similar to 4670?

For 5750, the best price a can find is around $150, which is a little over my budget. But I will think about this option a little more.
m
0
l
January 11, 2010 1:46:44 PM

just ordered a 4770, let's try and see
m
0
l
January 14, 2010 4:47:53 PM

Hi guys, I am back to thank you for help.

I bought a 4770 card and put into my computer w/ 300w PSU and it works beautifuly. Ran 3 hours of Crisis and not a single problem.

Hope this info will be helpful to who need to upgrade their video card in a weak PSU. Thanks
m
0
l
February 6, 2010 10:46:53 PM

luckyyellow said:
Hi guys, I am back to thank you for help.

I bought a 4770 card and put into my computer w/ 300w PSU and it works beautifuly. Ran 3 hours of Crisis and not a single problem.

Hope this info will be helpful to who need to upgrade their video card in a weak PSU. Thanks


Hi, Which 4770 card u bought?
m
0
l
February 18, 2010 2:13:20 AM

it is a Saphire 4770 with 512M memory
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b α HP
April 5, 2011 1:42:39 AM

i have just bought this card on ebay for £33.00 i am going to a similar problem as i only have a 300w psu
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b α HP
April 5, 2011 1:43:28 AM

have*
m
0
l
!