My power supply came with this?!

G

I just purchased an OCZ Z series 1000w PSU (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341028). I figured out what all the cables do except one:

"I think" Newegg identifies it as:

"1 x 4/8-Pin CPU"

Its essentially two cables tired together, 4 pins each. Its not modular, but I have no where to put it on my mobo. I can't figure out what it is or what it does. Since its not modular, it must be important. Any ideas? I'm thinking it could be some kind of manufacturing defect, and I put in an RMA with newegg.

My mobo is an asus p6t deluxe v2.

It's the CPU power cable. It's split like that because some motherboards need only 4 pins and some need 8 pins.

You definitely need it. It provides 12 volts to the power regulator on the motherboard that feeds the CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=13-131-365-S03&ISList=13-131-365-S01%2c13-131-365-S02%2c13-131-365-S03%2c13-131-365-S04%2c13-131-365-S05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813131365&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=ASUS%20P6T%20Deluxe%20V2%20LGA%201366%20Intel%20X58%20ATX%20Intel%20Motherboard

The socket is located on the lower left side of the motherboard about a quarter of the way up from the bottom. You probably did not notice it because the lower half of the 2X4 socket has a cap on it.

In your case, remove the cap and use all 8 pins of the plug. The yellow wires go toward the edge of the motherboard. Do not try to use a PCI connector here.

tecmo34

Administrator
I sounds like that is your 8-pin ATX connector for your CPU on the motherboard, in case it doesn't support the 8-pin EPS connector for your CPU. It is a 4x4 so it can be used on motherboards that only support 4-pin ATX connectors.

G

huh? you mean the part of the mobo thats labeled 12V? I plugged in the 8pin cable into that

G

Thats labeled PCI-e, and I plugged that in fine.

As I said, everything works fine, I just have this non-modular cable which I can't figure out what it does. I'm truely guessing it was manufactured by mistake

Mystery solved. Here is the complete list of cables:

1 x Main connector (24 Pin)
1 x 8-Pin EPS 12V
1 x 4/8-Pin CPU
6 x PCI-E(6+2Pin)
3 x Peripheral
12 x SATA
1 x Floppy

You're referring to the 8-Pin EPS 12V which is designed for server motherboards:

EPS12V is a special, non-ATX standard adopted by the Server System Infrastructure (SSI) group to provide a more powerful and stable environment for critical server-based systems and applications. EPS12V equipment is not compatible with standard ATX or ATX12V PCs found in homes and offices. Power supplies built to the EPS12V standard include a 24-pin motherboard power connector and an 8-pin +12V connector.

DO NOT plug it into anything in your personal atx system.

EDIT - I found additional info. Some motherboards have an EPS12V connector for CPU Power. For personal use the board will normally allow you to use an ATX12V or EPS12V connector.

G

Very odd.... But this doesn't make sense.

I've been using the 8-Pin EPS 12V cable in my 12V slot and its worked fine. Do I go ahead and switch it out with the dual 4 pin CPU one?

Very odd.... But this doesn't make sense.

I've been using the 8-Pin EPS 12V cable in my 12V slot and its worked fine. Do I go ahead and switch it out with the dual 4 pin CPU one?
It makes perfect sense.
Your psu is capable of supplying power to dual cpu motherboards, such as this
http://www.provantage.com/intel-boxd5400xs~7ITEM0F4.htm
The 4/8 CPU and 8 pin EPS connectors are basically the same other than the fact that the 4/8 can be split, there's no need for you to change the way you have it connected.

TRENDING THREADS