Your question
Closed

Radeon HD5870 Temps?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2010 5:19:05 PM

i think probably around 90C
Score
January 8, 2010 5:20:01 PM

I use to have a 850XT that ran at around 88C full load and ran it like that for 3 years with 0 problems.
Score
Related resources
January 8, 2010 5:34:32 PM

ok thanks I have 2 crossfired and played fear 2 for about 20 mintutes and the first one got up to 87C so thats good right?
The space between the 2 5870's is little about 3/16 of an inch on a p6x58d motherboard. I have an antec 1200 case and I have a fan on the back of the hard drive cage blowing in at the end of the cards and one blowing in on the side of the cards.
I dont know of anything else to cool them down. any suggestions or just leave the temps alone? But consider I only played fear 2 for about 20 minutes...
Score
January 8, 2010 6:32:28 PM

It is a bit warm, do you have a fan at the back of your case for exaust(blowing hot air out the back of the case). Always good to have some sort of exaust for hot air going out the back and top of your case if possible.

Also you can go into catalyst control center and go to the ati over drive panel and you can adjust your cards fan settings. if you dont have catalyst control center you can always download it from amd's site under drivers.

Or you can use ATI tool, i think it should still work for the newer cards. I bumped my fan speed up to 30% on my 5870 and it runs about 58C max/ idle is at 27C. I found that the default fan speed on my was sitting around 15% to 21% max. Which is good for keeping it quite. Higher you adjust the fan the lower your temps should go.

But you will have to find a middle ground of cooling/ noise ratio.I found 35% or lower is good for keeping it quite. Might want to start at 50% and work your way down till you find the right spot for noise.
Score
January 8, 2010 6:33:29 PM

oh sorry i meant Rivatuner not ati tool for the second option.
Score
January 8, 2010 7:00:01 PM

this time around playing fear 2 I got max temp for card 1 at 82C with fan speed at 35%. Which card 2 temps are great cus it doesnt have a card right below the fan. It stays about 20C cooler. Plus I have cpu overclocked to 4ghz with heatsink right next to it so that can contribute to some heat but I can live with these temps. Thanks.
Score
January 9, 2010 3:07:47 AM

Quote:
Its normal for 5 series cards since they got pretty high temps. Bad heatsink. I THINK it might be like that because it has a plastic cower on the underside of the GPU, or the chip thing or W/E, well The GPU itself basically. If it didnt have that I guess the temps would be better.

not really true my 5870 hasnt even come close to those temps, and mines overclocked. Air flow in your case has alot to do with the temps as well. I have only seen my card hit 58C. I havent hit 60C+ once yet. And thats playing games like crysis/ Batman Arkham Asylum/ Modern Warefare 2/ Dragon age orgins/ect all under max settings.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 3:19:26 AM

Quote:
Its normal for 5 series cards since they got pretty high temps. Bad heatsink. I THINK it might be like that because it has a plastic cower on the underside of the GPU, or the chip thing or W/E, well The GPU itself basically. If it didnt have that I guess the temps would be better.

nVidia has had full jackets since the 8800Ultra/9800GTX.

The maximum temperature for the 5000 series (& 4, maybe 3) is 100 degrees C.
At load Tom's measured their 5870 at 89C. You're 1 degree Celsius off.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 3:53:44 AM

The biggest issue I have with the 5870, is that there is nothing to cool the memory, and there is no temperature gauge for it.

I've found I can OC the core to 900MHz with no issues and keep things cool, but if I touch the memory speed, if I play a long time, it will crash. As soon as I drop the memory clock to stock, or even below a little, the problems disapear.

So, after running 3DVantage, and testing it with underclocked memory and overclocked core, I get no issues, and high a fair bit higher than stock speed scores.
Score
January 9, 2010 5:24:21 AM

bystander said:
The biggest issue I have with the 5870, is that there is nothing to cool the memory, and there is no temperature gauge for it.

I've found I can OC the core to 900MHz with no issues and keep things cool, but if I touch the memory speed, if I play a long time, it will crash. As soon as I drop the memory clock to stock, or even below a little, the problems disapear.

So, after running 3DVantage, and testing it with underclocked memory and overclocked core, I get no issues, and high a fair bit higher than stock speed scores.

What did you have your memory clocked at when you had problems?? Ive been running 900 core/ 1250 memory with zero problems. What brand is your 5870
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 5:31:53 AM

Most the time I run at your exact settings. Never had a problem, until I was running Crysis for a prolong period, and again with Divinity II.

But after backing off the memory speed to 1200, or even 1150, I never have an issue, and I barely lose performance. In 3Dmark Vantage, I lose 60 points on my GPU score with it over 18000. (total system score is over 20k.)

It's a Diamond 5870. It's a stock design.
Score
January 9, 2010 6:43:05 AM

Ah i havent played crysis for more than 10 min tops, didnt like the game. Using the sapphire 5870. your system score is higher than mine though, i get just 18k total score.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 3:35:00 PM

mpavao81 said:
Ah i havent played crysis for more than 10 min tops, didnt like the game. Using the sapphire 5870. your system score is higher than mine though, i get just 18k total score.

Ya, like I said, it rarely happened, but backing off the memory clock fixed it and barely effects my performance, so I am good with the way it is.

I just wanted to let others know my experience with the memory clock. The core can easily be OC'ed without issue, it's the DDR5 that you have to watch out for.
Score
January 9, 2010 5:03:39 PM

Yes, I think Anandtech ran into the same issue when they reviewed the 5970, albeit it ran perfectly in games.
Score
January 11, 2010 4:05:15 AM

is there anyway of putting another heatsink or something better to cool these cards? Maybe better air cooling? I mean running a single card the temps are great but in crossfire I have no room between them.......
Score
January 11, 2010 5:53:10 AM

My temp for card 1 in crossfire is up to 91C after playing fear for awhile with both cards fan speed manually set at 35%. If I set it any higher it's too loud. If I leave the fan speed set to auto, it get really loud but it keeps my temps a little lower around 88C. Is it a good idea to have a fan blowing at the back of the cards and one blowing in on the side?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 16, 2011 9:29:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!