japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I currently have a QX9770 CPU that I got on a smokin deal on last year. However, recently my motherboard took a dump and I have to either order another socket 775 motherboard...OR I can get a really good deal on an i7 950 CPU (~$200 OEM new). I play games mostly with an Ati 4870 1gb videocard for now and use watercooling for the CPU. Should I invest in a 1366 motherboard instead and get the i7 chip? would there be that much difference? I would also need triple channel ram...so the cost would be about $200 for the CPU...the motherboard I would need anyway...and maybe $150 for ram. So for $350...would it be worth it to go to the i7? Also, would it be worth putting the QX9770 on ebay?

Solution
Keep in mind the boards for the i7 are likely to be more expensive as well.

This isn't a decision someone else can make for you. Were you getting the performance you wanted/needed out of the system? If so, save yourself the $400ish difference between the i7/1366 mobo/RAM and the 775 board. If not, upgrade.

As for putting the 9770 on eBay, look and see what's out there. I'm sure somebody's buying.

PS: Nice avatar...
Keep in mind the boards for the i7 are likely to be more expensive as well.

This isn't a decision someone else can make for you. Were you getting the performance you wanted/needed out of the system? If so, save yourself the $400ish difference between the i7/1366 mobo/RAM and the 775 board. If not, upgrade.

As for putting the 9770 on eBay, look and see what's out there. I'm sure somebody's buying.

PS: Nice avatar...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS