Sign in with
Your question

SSD recognized in BIOS but not in windows setup installation*UPDATED*

Last response: in Storage
January 5, 2012 7:41:59 AM

UPDATE: I burned a new copy of windows 7 and it installed fine to the ssd. My 1TB HDD is not being recognized by either the bios or windows. Both the ssd and hdd are using the same power connector and are both connected to sata 0 and 1.

When I first booted into the bios everything was recognized except the HDD. I went to install windows and the ssd was recognized at this point. I exited and inserted the motherboard driver disc. I didn't install anything I just took the cd out. After that the ssd was still being recognized in the bios but not in windows when I went to install it. I switched sata cables and sata position and still the same thing. If I update the bios will that help? What else could I do? 
a c 324 G Storage
January 5, 2012 6:20:12 PM

If you want to install the OS on the ssd, attach the ssd to the SATA0 connector and do not attach any other hard drives, only an optical drive for the install dvd. Set your bios sata mode to ahci, then do the install. It should install fine, then you can attach the hdd to another sata port.

I don't know what motherboard you have, but using the latest bios could help and it is simple to do -- just make sure that your computer does not lose power during the bios update, which only takes a minute or two.
m
l
January 6, 2012 12:34:09 AM

RealBeast said:
If you want to install the OS on the ssd, attach the ssd to the SATA0 connector and do not attach any other hard drives, only an optical drive for the install dvd. Set your bios sata mode to ahci, then do the install. It should install fine, then you can attach the hdd to another sata port.

I don't know what motherboard you have, but using the latest bios could help and it is simple to do -- just make sure that your computer does not lose power during the bios update, which only takes a minute or two.

ok i was able to install ubuntu on the ssd but its still not being recognized in the windows installation. Should I still do what you said?
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2012 12:53:20 AM

JJBro1 said:
ok i was able to install ubuntu on the ssd but its still not being recognized in the windows installation. Should I still do what you said?

What's your CPU, intel or AMD?
m
l
a c 324 G Storage
January 6, 2012 2:44:26 AM

JJBro1 said:

Well the answer is slightly different if you want to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. It is not being seen now by Windows because it is not available as a Windows drive yet.

Since you have already installed Ubuntu, you need to make space and install Windows 7 in its own partition. THIS is a pretty good guide to doing that.
m
l
January 6, 2012 5:13:42 AM

ok i just burned a new copy of windows 7 and my ssd worked fine. Now my hdd is still not being recognized by either bios or hdd. The ssd and hdd are hooked up exactly the same.
m
l
!