HD7950 OC not working properly

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I just got a my Gigabyte 7950 a few days ago and just wanted to try OCing with CCC and so I turn on overdrive, crank it up to 1000/1500 and the +20% power and it passes GPU benchmarks and heaven but when I play DayZ for a while the game crashes and I get a beep, but it doesn't do it when I just revert to stock 900mhz. So what exactly is the problem here?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like it is overheating and shutting down. Try increasing from stock speeds in smaller steps and test as you progress. When you get to a point of failure, drop back to the previous stable setting and declare success.

Good luck!

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Ok, but not really helpful because this thing is a good card and should be able to overclock to 1000mhz with EASE. The thing is not overheating, on stock it runs 32c idle and 52c max load. On that small overclock to 1000 the temps were like exactly the same.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414

andrewcarr

Distinguished

If your such a genius with your GPU why can't you solve it yourself. Just don't act like a jerk to someone trying to help. If you do go back and OC in increments you can find a good stable OC (as yours obviously isn't). All cards are different, so maybe most can get to the OC and be stable at what you have it at but it seems yours can't. Also OC the GPU and memory separately.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You are welcome. Good luck.

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Holy god you guys are thin skinned. How was that insulting in anyway? I just said that it was not helpful to me. Did I say anything rude or negative to you? Not at all.

Then am I not allowed to counter the advice you gave and explain why its not the problem.
I am in awe right now.

----

Back on topic, I understand going in increments, but if I can't even be able to overclock 100mhz over stock then there is really something wrong with this card.

zeusisbossin

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

I've got a similar problem as you. Same card and all. Mine does OC fine at 1000mHz and temps are the same but when I tried OCing to 1100 and then 1075mHz problems occured. At 1100, I couldn't get Battlefield 3 to come up at all (multiplayer). When I turned it down to 1075 I was able to get past the load sceen and into the game for just a split second before it froze. I do have two other xbox's being used (online) on the same router but I'm sure that's not the issue because I haven't experience any symptoms of lag on my computer so far. If I figure something out I'll let you know.