Getting terrible performance in game, can't figure out the problem.

Andrew1503

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
A few months ago I decided to build myself a gaming computer. Had never done a custom build before, but it went pretty smooth. Been using it for about 6 months or so.

The problem arose when I decided to upgrade the case to an Antec 900. The move to the new case was fine, but for some reason my performance in any 3d game is terrible now. Before I moved to the new case I could get 100+ fps in WoW, 100+ in Source engine games, 60+ in Crysis. Now CODMWF2 looks like a slide show....

I've tried moving the graphics card to a different slot, I made sure the two power connectors are secure...

Tried the disc drivers and that didn't help. So I did a driver sweep and installed the newest from EVGA's site. Still no help...

I don't know if it's a hardware issue, or some silly driver thing that I'm just missing?

Temps seem alright so I don't think it's overheating... I'm out of ideas so I'm looking for some help!

rig:
EVGA E758-A1 X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 (no overclocking, just built in speedboost thing)
6gb of DDR3 SDRAM
EVGA GTX 260 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370)
OCZ 700w power supply

Thanks in advance for any advice

Andrew1503

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
checked all my cables, reseated the GPU in the PCIE slot. Tried a system restore back to a week ago when everything was running smoothly. That makes 4 different driver versions I've tried.

The only other thing I can think to do is wipe the HDD and start with a fresh install of Windows. Would that be my best route, or is there something else I could try first?

siliconvideo

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Another thing to check is to make sure you are really running triple channel memory, not single channel. It should say something on the boot screen about this if you can read fast enough.

I installed my memory sticks in the wrong slots (was in a hurry), it booted fine but only ran in single channel mode. When I put the sticks in the right slots, I gained significant performance increase.

Andrew1503

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I didn't remove the memory from the motherboard when I changed cases. Nothing else is different besides the case, and a new fan speed controller.

OS is Windows 7 RC 7100. Trying a reinstall of that today.