Sign in with
Your question

Does Dual Channel Mode halve RAM clock?

Last response: in Memory
August 10, 2010 8:50:13 PM

Hey folks,

Just hooked up my brand spanking new Gigabyte GA-890fxa-ud5 with my 7-7-7-21 Ripjaws DDR3 1333 and x4 955, and it's running memtest86+ right now. I just noticed, however, that memtest shows the clockspeed as 666 MHz. I know I set the timings manually, and left the speed at 1333 MHz (along with 7-7-7-21 timings). I also enabled (I think - GB's description is a bit strange - says Single Channel mode has better performance???) Dual Channel Mode.

My question is, will Dual channel mode normally cut in half your Memory clock speed? Is that the trade-off? Or is there something else going on here?

Thanks a lot!

-Bill
a b } Memory
August 10, 2010 8:55:18 PM

DDR = Double Data Rate -- so the programs will only list half the actual speed (ie. right now they report 666 but you double that for the actual 1333 Rate !) so the RAM is running at the correct speed.
August 10, 2010 9:03:11 PM

Ok, gotcha. Thanks very much. Memtest86+ 4.10 just completed successfully, by the way, and just started a second pass :)  Do you guys typically run this over several hours like Prime95, or is a single pass sufficient here? No overclocks or anything, just stock clockspeeds across the board (except for a factory OC'd 5850).

Thanks!

-Bill
!