Best Memory 2010

JackDaniels10700

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
So i've been looking for Triple channel memory for my i7 930 that i'm setting up and trying to decide which one to buy. Every deal that I run across is memory that came out in the Winter of 2008-2009.

My question is, is there new and better memory out there? or are the ones from a couple years ago still the top of the line? I'm going to be installing this onto an eVGA X58 SLI Motherboard and only going with 6gb.

The deals i am currently looking at are...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145222

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL081010&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL081010-_-EMC-081010-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231225-L012D

Are these value triple channel memory or actually good ones? Thanks in advance folks!

Cheers,
Jack

tecmo34

Administrator
Solution

JackDaniels10700

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
k im a little confused now based on the timings. So the "good" one has the lowest timings, but the best has the highest timings. This is right around my budget range though, i think i want to spend around 160 so the good and the better are appealing to me.

What makes this RAM better than the other rams? out of the 3 that you listed, im interested in the G.Skill, i must have overlooked that. I guess what would give me the best FPS increase for gaming? Saw benchmarks that said RAM actually has a decent effect on FPS.

tecmo34

Administrator
Actually, the better link (Mushkin) has the better stock timings at Cas6. The G.SKILL PI has Cas7.

What makes the G.Skill Tridents the best... is they can run at DDR3 1600 at equal or lower timings than the Mushkin Cas6. You get better timings by "underclocking" it's performance to DDR3 1600. If you do a search on Tom's for memory, they have an outstanding article on this RAM and it's performance.

tecmo34

Administrator

First.... Thanks for the best answer nod.

Second... I was referring to the ones I listed. Are there a version with slightly tighter timings, sure there is. Are both versions outstanding RAM, yes they are. As I stated, with the rebate on that Mushkin, it is hard to beat / pass up. You'll be just fine with the version I listed / linked.