Backup Drives Connection Questions

Muffinthundergrunt

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I have two seemingly simple questions that I don’t seem to be able to determine definitive answers for by reading online.

Both relate to my Dell Optiplex 360 running XP.

(1)I have a second internal 2TB internal hard drive as my data drive. I recently replaced my primary C drive and after doing the fresh install of the OS I couldn’t get the system to recognize the data drive without reformatting it. (it was ok as I had an external drive to back up to first) That was rather shocking as I thought I could just hook up my data drive and it would work. My question is if the main reason I use the data drive, to protect it from C drive crashing or failing, what happens if my C drive dies? Would I have to hope I did an external backup recently or is there some way I didn’t set it up that would allow a new drive to recognize my data drive without going through the new reformat of the data drive again?

(2) My external hard drive that I did the backup to has USB and eSATA connecters. After spending most of the day backing up and reinstalling a gig of data through the USB connecters I was inspired to search for the eSATA options for the next time I use it. What is the cheapest was to connect my Esata external drive to my computer and still get eSATA speed? My computer has an external serial port. Is there any serial port to eSATA connecters as I couldn’t find any online? Is the best way to just install an eSATA card in my machine as it does have one free PCI slot open on the motherboard.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
That message from win xp about formatting drive is bogus, the data would still be there and you don't have to reformat, (i forgot exact reason for that massage, forgot to install drivers? or was it about having different service packs, have to look into that)

if you have spare sata port inside simply get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226003
if you don't PCI to eSata card would do

Muffinthundergrunt

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

No message. It just would not recognize the drive no matter what I tried and I couldn't find any answer online except to reformat the drive. Rather disconcerting.

Thanks for your reply. I will try that Newegg part.