Sign in with
Your question

CM 690 2 Advanced Fan Configuration

Last response: in Overclocking
August 22, 2012 7:17:10 AM

Thats the specs of my first gaming rig. I got lucky with the parts because I live close to a microcenter and I bought most of them when there was a deal going on :D 

SPECS:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($206.99)
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($76.99)
Going with a Blue/Black Color scheme

Now my question is How should I setup the fans for this case :( 
Questions:

1) Positive or Negative Flow? Positive is more intaking right? and Negative is the opposite?

2) 140mm vs 120mm pros/cons please Ive done some research on the I just need some input and advice.
Thinking of getting 2x GT AP-15 1850 for my heat sink or possibly 2x Ultra Kraze 3000 for it. Input or any other fan you would like to suggest? And as for intake/exhaust fans what would be better 120mm or 140mm.

3)Fan placement on the case. Where should I add fans and how many should I add? I was thinking a 140mm at the top as an exhaust fan maybe Yate Loon or something dunno really. Should I keep the back exhaust fan that came with the case or move that somewhere else and add a better exhaust fan? The HS is in a push-pull config with either of the fans I mentioned earlier. Maybe a bottom 140/120mm dunno for intaking air, front fan prolly leave the case fan alone as an intake and have the top and back expel the hot air. Please suggest a config that worked for you.

I also heard that its better to intake with the top fans to cool the HS is that true?

Im planing to OC my CPU to maybe 4.2 or 4.5 Ghz and also possibly OC my GPU, so id like to have a good cooling setup.

4) Fans ive thought of buying where GT AP-15 1850s, Scythe Ultra Kraze 3000s and Yate Loon 140mm (hear a lot about them). Give me some others that you would say have a balance of both quiet yet provide powerful airflow.

Im only going to be using SSD as my hard drive for the mean time so I was thinking of adding a fan to the HDD Cage.

All of these are just thoughts I just need help pulling things together into a more concise plan of attack lol. Im so indecisive with what to do that it gets frustrating lol. Please lend me your knowledge. And once again thank you!

a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2012 9:42:10 AM

in my cm advance 2 case i have :
2x120mm top fans
2x120mm bottom fan
1x120mm front fan
1x120mm exhaust fan
1x80mm intake back panel fan
and cup cooler zalman 9700

all the fans are coolermaster sickleflow fans and keeps the system really cool they are load but when on a fan controller they become quiet.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2012 7:18:28 AM

One of the most basic principles that is useful in getting that chassis well-ventilated is the so-called pressure rule. There are two factors that contribute to it: one is the position and direction of ventilators, and the other is the “seal” state of the case. In one way, a case can be described as either positive-pressure or negative-pressure. Positive-pressured cases have a larger intake than exhaust, while it’s the opposite for negative-pressured ones.

The nature of the airflow can be calculated by adding the rates of flow (in CFM, usually displayed on the fan packaging) of all intake fans and subtracting the exhaust ones – if the result is positive, the case is positively-pressured, and vice-versa.

One of the absolutely worst combinations possible is a “sealed negative” case – the reason being, if you only have an exhaust fan, guess where the air’s going to come from.

Now consider what the air at your home or workplace is filled with – in most cases, you’ve got dust floating around, which just can’t wait to deposit itself inside some computer circuitry.On the other hand, an “unsealed positive” case is a solid setup, as it allows the exhaust fans to do half the work, and whatever doesn’t get pulled out by them will get “thrown out of the airlock” naturally.

In order to get good airflow – note, flow – you need to have both an intake and an exhaust, but working in different magnitudes. As an example, a 120mm intake and a 80mm exhaust is a very good way to pump case pressure to a stable positive. However, this is where the sealed properties of a case come into play – a good case has the sides sealed, but the front perforated or lined with slits so air can bypass your optical drives and get tunnelled into the case, effectively ensuring dust doesn’t go where it doesn’t belong. And speaking of sides, a side panel with an 80, 92 or 120mm fan (or even several of them) can give you a very nice gust of wind which you can aim at your more heated components. Some cases come with plastic air ducts – if yours didn’t, fashioning one out of cardboard can give you an easy-to-steer tunnel you can aim at your GPU or chipset. Naturally, take care of the direction the fan’s blowing in. Another thing that will immensely help your air flow is either buying rounded IDE cables, or rounding them yourselves and tying them together to get a much smaller obstruction.
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2012 4:42:25 PM

Thanks to all the suggestions. But I think ive decided on AP-15s for my HSF in a push pull config. As for fan configuration im leaning towards positive flow so then my only exhaust would be the back while having dust filters where ever I have an intake fan. Planning on adding 2x 140mm fans at the top thinking maybe a Prolimatech Blue Vortex 140mm but still looking around. As for the bottom fan if I can ill add 1 140mm ill add maybe the same vortex one again. What you guys think? As for filters any suggestions for the CM 690 ii advanced? muhammad thanks for that advice learned alot lol and would you suggest me some 140mm fans that have 120mm mounts? Thanks again.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 23, 2012 6:46:31 PM

I have the perfect product for you!

I just finished a build for a heavy smoker and I wanted the new computer to stand up to that kind of torture. On this new build I discovered these awesome filters:

DEMCi Flex Fan Filters

You can purchase them at frozencpu.com (link) or performance-pcs.com (link).

Basically, the frame of the filter is a magnet. They attach to the outside of your case and are super easy to remove and clean. They have both round and square/rectangular shapes. I purchased the 2x120mm rectangular filter and it was PERFECT for my build. For the CM 690, it looks like you'll need two 140mm filters for the side, though two 120mm filters might work too. The one I got from frozencpu did not have any logos or anything on them, which I like. Give them a try.

The best 140mm silent fan looks to be the thermalright ty-140 (73cfm) which has a 120 mount...

**Thermalright TR TY-140 140mm x 160mm PWM Fan - 900R~1300PM (Standard 120mm Fan Mount) (((NEEDS 140 to 120mm adapter)))

Happy ?? :p 
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 24, 2012 5:17:42 AM

You don't need them, the stock filters are perfectly fine.

Anyways, this is how my 690 II Advanced is configured:
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 24, 2012 7:03:45 AM

Good luck then Mr.Blacklee00 :) 
m
l
!