Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

280m sli or HD 5870 mobility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 9, 2010 12:24:27 AM

Topic.

More about : 280m sli 5870 mobility

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 2:24:08 AM

Since you can't upgrade laptops I think it would be important to consider the rest of the system.. Maybe you should post your options in detail.
m
0
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 2:30:09 AM

Agree, post the detail both of the laptops here... :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 6:07:53 AM

I would vote for 5870 mobility,as it would consume less power and perform almost the same as 280m in sli...also you get the dx11 support
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 6:22:29 AM

No,HD 5870 mobility will perform like a desktop HD 5750 and a GTX 280M performs like a desktop 9800GTX,so 2 GTX 280M would be a faster option,however it depends on the other specs and the games and the resolution that you play
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 6:49:12 AM

Maziar said:
No,HD 5870 mobility will perform like a desktop HD 5750 and a GTX 280M performs like a desktop 9800GTX,so 2 GTX 280M would be a faster option,however it depends on the other specs and the games and the resolution that you play



how can you say no !!one nvidia 280m gives 624Mflops while one 5870 mobility gives 1.12Tflops. So two 280M sli is almost same as one 5870 mobility...

proof:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-280m,23...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-587... ..
m
0
l
January 9, 2010 7:32:21 AM

sayantan said:
how can you say no !!one nvidia 280m gives 624Mflops while one 5870 mobility gives 1.12Tflops. So two 280M sli is almost same as one 5870 mobility...

proof:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-280m,23...
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-587... ..


:non: 
Raw computing power does not directly correlate with performance. In the second page you linked, it says:
"Compared to desktop graphics cards, the Mobility Radeon HD 5870 should perform somewhere between a Radeon HD 5750 and 5770 according to the specs (shader count of 5770, clock rate of 5750)."

And on the page for the 280M:
"Compared with Desktop graphic cards, the performance is about between the 9800 GT and the 9800 GTX (which has a considerably higher clock of 675/1675/1100)."
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-280M.14...

Consulting the charts on a 9800GT/GTX SLI compared to a 5750 gives a rough idea of performance:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-card...

Maziar is correct in that the 280M SLI is the stronger option, and also correct in that it depends some on usage of the cards.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 7:52:03 AM

wonder if there will be a 5970 mobility
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 10:23:10 AM

frozenlead said:
:non: 
Raw computing power does not directly correlate with performance. In the second page you linked, it says:
"Compared to desktop graphics cards, the Mobility Radeon HD 5870 should perform somewhere between a Radeon HD 5750 and 5770 according to the specs (shader count of 5770, clock rate of 5750)."

And on the page for the 280M:
"Compared with Desktop graphic cards, the performance is about between the 9800 GT and the 9800 GTX (which has a considerably higher clock of 675/1675/1100)."
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-280M.14...

Consulting the charts on a 9800GT/GTX SLI compared to a 5750 gives a rough idea of performance:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-card...

Maziar is correct in that the 280M SLI is the stronger option, and also correct in that it depends some on usage of the cards.



how can the real life benchmark differ so much even though they have almost same raw computing power!!! :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
January 9, 2010 11:44:15 AM

Wait for benchmarks.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 12:13:57 PM

Maziar said:
No,HD 5870 mobility will perform like a desktop HD 5750 and a GTX 280M performs like a desktop 9800GTX,so 2 GTX 280M would be a faster option,however it depends on the other specs and the games and the resolution that you play


Yes agree. The 5870m performance is around 5750 or 5770 desktop version. gtx280m sli will beat it easily. 5870m isnt a bad option uses less power, run cooler, supports dx11, oc a bit higher and will probably cost you a less money. But for pure performance gtx280m sli.
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 1:55:50 PM

Its really easy to compare,a HD 5870M performs between a desktop 5750 and a 5770 and a GTX 280M performs like a desktop 9800GTX,and 2 9800GTX perform better than both HD 5750/5770 so 2 GTX 280M perform better than 1 HD 5870M.
Wait for real benchmarks and we can have the exact answer.
m
0
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 2:03:30 PM

but still, for a laptop, it's powerful enough(both of 280m sli and HD 5870 mobility) ... :D 
m
0
l
January 17, 2010 7:25:51 AM

so, just answer if mobility 5870 worth of it. i'm planning to get a laptop soon, so i need to know if i should take asus' g73... or some other with gtx 280m sli. i don't want to take sli'ed, since the heat will be huge. so i want to know if it'll be ok to play on it. i'm planning to play dirt 2 on it, so what resolution should i play on?
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 8:48:05 AM

If you aren't going to SLI then HD 5870M performs better than 1 GTX 280M and can handle Dirt2 fine
m
0
l
January 17, 2010 5:24:26 PM

"HD 5870M performs better than 1 GTX 280M and can handle Dirt2 fine"
how fine? at 1920x1080 with aa x4, af x8? of course with i7 720
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 6:04:49 PM

No,HD 5780M performs better than a single GTX 280M.
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 17, 2010 6:06:16 PM

miha2 said:
"HD 5870M performs better than 1 GTX 280M and can handle Dirt2 fine"
how fine? at 1920x1080 with aa x4, af x8? of course with i7 720

It can handle it fine with some settings on high and some on medium and with 0xAA,but since it isn't out yet we cant' give you 100% accurate answers but it performs between a desktop HD 5750 and HD 5770
m
0
l
January 17, 2010 6:13:36 PM

i know that 280m sli is better, but, from the other side, in crysis, 5870 is ~45-52 fps, 280m ~45, 280m SLI ~47. however, i don't know what's wrong, but 260m gives ~52 fps. but again, i want to see DX11 in action in DiRT2. and i want the laptop to handle on my laps, not on the table - i don't want it to be 212F hot. i don't want it as noisy as a plane in a couple of feet from me, but i want it cool, quiet and good. of course, they're not going to be that noisy and hot, but anyway, i want it cool and quet. so, i just need the benchmarks to see how good it can perform in just 2 games at 1680x1050 (since it'll be the closest to 1920x1080) or at 1920x1080, no aa+af. and the games are crysis and dirt 2. if it can run crysis on native resolution, it can run any game. if it can run dirt 2 in dx11, it can run any game in dx10/9. right?
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 5:11:00 AM

No it's not close.
HD 5870M performs between a desktop HD 5750 and 5770 and a GTX 280M performs like a desktop 9800GTX so in SLI it will be like 2 9800GTX's and they perform better than a single HD 5870M
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 5:12:09 AM

miha2 said:
i know that 280m sli is better, but, from the other side, in crysis, 5870 is ~45-52 fps, 280m ~45, 280m SLI ~47. however, i don't know what's wrong, but 260m gives ~52 fps. but again, i want to see DX11 in action in DiRT2. and i want the laptop to handle on my laps, not on the table - i don't want it to be 212F hot. i don't want it as noisy as a plane in a couple of feet from me, but i want it cool, quiet and good. of course, they're not going to be that noisy and hot, but anyway, i want it cool and quet. so, i just need the benchmarks to see how good it can perform in just 2 games at 1680x1050 (since it'll be the closest to 1920x1080) or at 1920x1080, no aa+af. and the games are crysis and dirt 2. if it can run crysis on native resolution, it can run any game. if it can run dirt 2 in dx11, it can run any game in dx10/9. right?

Where are you getting those numbers ?
As i said real benchies aren't out yet so why not wait a little more for real benchmarks ?
m
0
l
January 18, 2010 11:03:03 AM

ok, ok. don't get angry. but well, they'll most probably again will say that it'll come in February or later.
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 3:29:12 PM

lol i didn't get angry :)  i just wanted to know where did you get those benchies,why i must get angry lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 7:54:09 PM

Maziar said:
No it's not close.
HD 5870M performs between a desktop HD 5750 and 5770 and a GTX 280M performs like a desktop 9800GTX so in SLI it will be like 2 9800GTX's and they perform better than a single HD 5870M


The GTX 280m is based off of the G92b architecture, the same as the 9800 GTX, but has far inferior clocks and memory speeds. It is a between the 9600 GT and the 9800 GT in performance. Two of them with the inferior mobile SLI scaling are going to come pretty close to the 5770.

The performance difference is not worth the extra power consumption, 60w vs 150w.
m
0
l
January 18, 2010 9:14:32 PM

so, AMW1011, you're trying to say that 5870 is better?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2010 2:35:52 AM

I'm saying that for performance the dual GTX 280m should be a little faster, but the 5870 will net you most of that performance and use a LOT LESS power.'

So yes I'm saying it IS better.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2010 2:54:22 AM

First I agree with most of what Maziar and Frozen have put down, it's extremely likely that the two GTX280M in SLi will outpace the HD5870M in most things, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's often by a healthy margin to be noticeable.

However, here's the thing, as has be mentioned: what he's looking to do?

Short term as a desktop replacement or gaming rig, you'll likely get much better performance from the GTX280M SLi setup with an equivalent base system. What would favour the HD5870 would be power consumption, heat, longevity-features and HD/BR-playback, however if none of those things interest you, then they don't carry value, just like PhysX or Cuda may carry value for the SLi setup for someone but not for most.

However as a 'fire and forget' topic, you make up your own criteria, hence I pick the S3 Chrome 440 ULP because it's so Shiny !! :sol: 
m
0
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 19, 2010 8:38:15 AM

AMW1011 said:
The GTX 280m is based off of the G92b architecture, the same as the 9800 GTX, but has far inferior clocks and memory speeds. It is a between the 9600 GT and the 9800 GT in performance. Two of them with the inferior mobile SLI scaling are going to come pretty close to the 5770.

The performance difference is not worth the extra power consumption, 60w vs 150w.

I don't think so,because GTX 280M has 128SP which is same as a 9800GTX desktop
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 11:07:17 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe actually, both. i might go to travel sometime in the future, and i just love to game. but gaming in 800x640, as i said, is not fun for me. i like strategies, i like action, i like racing. i like powerful computers... intel core i7 720 is not bad, so why isn't there any good videocards?
another problem, though, that earlier there was a choise at alienware, and i could change the videocard to, i think there was the choise, gtx 280m, even sli... now i can't... so, now tell me, where can i get (out of such companies like cyberpower, ibuypower, alienware, any other such popular) 280m sli?
so, out of all this, make a conclusion - what'sbetter? 280m SLI, GTX 260m, or 5870...
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2010 2:46:00 PM

Maziar said:
I don't think so,because GTX 280M has 128SP which is same as a 9800GTX desktop


That is what I said, it is the same architecture as the 9800 GTX but with very low clocks, even lower than the 9800 GT by a decent amount. It should come close to the 9800 GT.

miha2 said:
TheGreatGrapeApe actually, both. i might go to travel sometime in the future, and i just love to game. but gaming in 800x640, as i said, is not fun for me. i like strategies, i like action, i like racing. i like powerful computers... intel core i7 720 is not bad, so why isn't there any good videocards?
another problem, though, that earlier there was a choise at alienware, and i could change the videocard to, i think there was the choise, gtx 280m, even sli... now i can't... so, now tell me, where can i get (out of such companies like cyberpower, ibuypower, alienware, any other such popular) 280m sli?
so, out of all this, make a conclusion - what'sbetter? 280m SLI, GTX 260m, or 5870...


Here I will list the pros for you:

GTX 280m:
-Best gaming performance

5870m:
-Similar gaming performance
-Uses MUCH less power so more battery life.
-Has DirectX 11, and since you cannot upgrade the GPU in a laptop the GPU will have to last you awhile so DX11 is important.
-Runs far cooler. This can ensure that no damage comes to your laptop with improper maintenance.
-No SLI drivers, which were pretty bad on the laptops not too long ago. Research this one yourself as it might have changed.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=20

Take the results of dual 8800 GTs and multiply them by .90 to get a rough estimate of how two GTX 280m's would perform. Compare that to the single 4870. As you can see they are pretty close.
Share
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 19, 2010 5:04:42 PM

2060265,33,525360 said:
That is what I said, it is the same architecture as the 9800 GTX but with very low clocks, even lower than the 9800 GT by a decent amount. It should come close to the 9800 GT.

Yup it should perform somehow between a desktop 9800GT and 9800GTX,here is another good link:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-280M.14...
"Compared with Desktop graphic cards, the performance is about between the 9800 GT and the 9800 GTX (which has a considerably higher clock of 675/1675/1100)."
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 8:54:58 PM

ok, so asus really is good... thank you
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2010 9:26:49 PM

I agree with AMW, you can't really fit 2 GTX280M's without a 17inch laptop, so if you want something smaller than a 17 incher that lasts any remotely reasonable amount of time unplugged then go with the HD5870.
m
0
l
January 20, 2010 2:50:56 AM

i want a good laptop, not for frying eggs on it, but 17" is good for me... and i want to use it as much as i can unplugged... ok, asus is asus... thank you
m
0
l
January 27, 2010 11:15:41 AM

Best answer selected by Option.
m
0
l
!