AMD Phenom II x2 555 unlocked to quad okay with stock cooler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have a AMD Phenom II x2 555 based rig with Asus M4A785TD-V EVO motherbaord and 4 gigs of gskill Ripjaw series RAM. I have successfully unlocked all four cores of the processor. Now I want to know if i use it for gaming without a gfx card, will the stock cooler be sufficient to keep the proccy under prescribed temperature limits and wots the safe temperature limit for this proccy. I have no plans to overclock this proccy.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
The stock cooler should handle it just fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe AMD ships the same cooler for the dual core and quad core chips. As long as your temps are >70C, you're in the comfort zone.

Cheers.

The maximum operating temperature of the cpu is 70 degrees celsius.

Since you are not overclocking, the stock cpu heatsink and fan should be able to keep the cpu under the maximum operating temperature.

The motherboard's onboard video is an ATI Radeon HD 4200 gpu. You should be able to play games but not at maximum settings.

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Dear Zinosys, the stock coolers shipped with quad cores are bigger with a larger heatsink. and that is the reason y i was worried if a dual core cooler will be able to handle a quad proccy. :sarcastic:

ankydu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

atm the onboard gpu is fine for me, but even if i add a gud gfx card in future, will the cpu temp still be okay ?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
If you add a hot running videocard and you don't have good case airflow, you could be introducing lots of heat so that it raises your CPU idle and load temps. If that happens, add some fans, check your cable management, and go with an aftermarket CPU cooler.

suju89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I just yesterday unlocked my new Phenom II 555BE but using an Asus M4A89GTD-PRO which comes with a "Core Unlocker" switch. I am running it with the stock cooler and havent seen temps even get into the 40s. I'll be running some benchmarks today so will update with results.

suju89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Okay,

Just did a quick 30min stability test running 4 instances of Prime95 (one for each core) for 30mins, 0 errors 0 warnings.

Temp got over 60degrees Celsius before i took the side panel off which dropped it to a steady 58.

Under normal usage the stock cooler is fine, however I would definately not want to overclock this cpu on the standard cooler

suju89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
further to that... using the AMD Overdrive software and still the stock cpu heatsink + fan i was able to overclock it to 3.4ghz / 1.4v / 17x mutliplier and during preliminary stability testing remained under 60degrees C. I have now wound it back to 3.3ghz / 1.392v / 16.5x and it is hovering around 50degree at idle. I will run some more intensive testing and post once again post results

suju89

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I have recently upgraded to a Xigmatek S1284 and there is a consistant 10degree Celsius drop in running temps. this is due to the massive increase in the size of the heatsank and the fan, the Xigmatek is positively gargantuan compared to the pathetic stock AMD cooler. While I had the case open i also installed a "Lamptron FAN-ATIC 5 Switch Military Baybus" so i could have simple, easy to access control over the top, front and rear fans.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
sorry for being a necro but i'm just adding some info, my 555's stock cooler was half the size of the lower powered Athlon II x2 it replaced, i have been using the original cooler since. my cpu idles around 41 deg C, and at max load hits 52 deg C MAX, am thinking of getting an 80mm to 120mm duct to upgrade the fan for higher air flow. Currently i'm on a stock eMachine mobo, but i have an ASUS in the mail (M4A785-M) quite a bargain at newegg. i'm not really a big guy on OC's but i'll give it a go, knowing my red zone is 65C and death zone is 70C. Thank you guys prior to me for the info, i hope it came useful to you if you have an Athlon II x2 (235e) HS, use that.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I have a 550 and a 555 unlocked. Never had an issue with either of them at stock speeds. In BIOS, you can check CPU voltage at 2 core and 4 core. If auto voltage stays at 1.35v, or slightly over when unlocked, you will have a minimal amount of added heat. You can also check CPU core temps in bios when unlocked, just not under load.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Kinda off topic... but I have a left-over stock fan/heatsync from a Phenom II X2 555 BE that I was going to use on an inexpensive HTPC I'll be building. The CPU the HTPC will use is a Athlon II X2 240 that is yet to arrive. I'm somewhat new to AMD stuff, and was wondering if the CPU die packages are all the same thickness so as to allow me to use the left-over fan/heatsync on the Athlon II X2 240. Your description seems to confirm that. Yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.