Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replace Thermaltake LCS kit with MCP655

Last response: in Overclocking
August 22, 2012 5:24:51 PM

Hi,
I currently have a Thermaltake Level 10 LCS case which came with the BigWater 850 kit, and I'd like to replace the pump it came with, with the MCP655. Does anyone know if I can just unscrew the current pump and put in the new pump, i.e. will it fit into the reservoir, and will I have any other issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 22, 2012 5:35:19 PM

D5 will not fit into the TT reservoir at all, but why do you need a D5 instead of a DDC or any other pump?

Thermaltake makes some of the worst components for watercooling- they often use aluminum in many of their components, have pretty shoddy pumps and I've had 2 different friends decide to use them (against my recommendations as they got 'good deals') and both units leaked, one had pump failure. One of them had a ruined MB and GPU since the CPU leaked at the fittings.
m
l
August 22, 2012 5:52:56 PM

rubix_1011 said:
D5 will not fit into the TT reservoir at all, but why do you need a D5 instead of a DDC or any other pump?

Thermaltake makes some of the worst components for watercooling- they often use aluminum in many of their components, have pretty shoddy pumps and I've had 2 different friends decide to use them (against my recommendations as they got 'good deals') and both units leaked, one had pump failure. One of them had a ruined MB and GPU since the CPU leaked at the fittings.

I just went through some of the links referred to in the sticky at the top, and the MCP655 seemed to have gotten good reviews and was relatively quiet so I thought it made sense. Is there another pump you'd recommend? And for future reference, how do I know which pumps are compatible with my reservoir?

And yeah, you're right, I didn't have much experience with water cooling at the time, so I just bought the LCS with the case since it was the easiest solution at the time. I realize now how poor the quality of Thermaltake equipment is. My pump has actually failed once already, and I'm running on the replacement pump right now. That's why I'm looking to replace it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 22, 2012 7:20:58 PM

Its a dualbay unit so I'd say swap it out with an Xspc dualbay res for the D5( Laing D5 is renamed by various companies, mcp655 is one of the rebranded names)
http://www.xs-pc.com/products/pumps/d5-dual-bay-reservo...
although as Rubix said, replacing the whole P.o.s. is a better plan,
nice case though
Moto
m
l
August 22, 2012 7:48:21 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Its a dualbay unit so I'd say swap it out with an Xspc dualbay res for the D5( Laing D5 is renamed by various companies, mcp655 is one of the rebranded names)
http://www.xs-pc.com/products/pumps/d5-dual-bay-reservo...
although as Rubix said, replacing the whole P.o.s. is a better plan,
nice case though
Moto

It seems like a bit of a waste to get rid of the reservoir (it has a flowmeter attached to it as well). Are there no pumps with which I can use my existing reservoir? (at least for the time being) I will probably end up replacing all the components eventually, but would prefer to do it one at a time.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 22, 2012 8:41:36 PM

Flow meter isn't going to be of much use in most systems, but seems there is a real need on a TT system. You could just as easily monitor your system temps with RealTemp or CoreTemp and have it auto shutdown if your CPU or GPU hits a high temp threshold...this is what I do.

D5/MCP655's are great pumps- I own and run one myself, so don't think I was knocking it at all.
m
l
August 24, 2012 12:05:22 PM

Okay, but if I didn't want to replace the reservoir do I have any options for replacement pumps outside of Thermaltake, or am I forced to get a new reservoir as well if I buy a new pump?
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 4:13:13 AM

You technically don't need a reservoir in a loop. There are a lot of options when it comes to pumps and reservoirs as well as tops...how much do you know about watercooling?

It really depends what pump you decide to get, but you might consider getting rid of the Thermaltake components and starting over. I know that they've used aluminum in several of their components over the years and this is something you absolutely do not want in a loop. If they are brass/copper, I suppose you could still keep them.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 5:15:33 AM

Well, a reservoir is pretty cheap!
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 5:52:22 AM

I would assume that you are using the recommended coolant for this build (IE basically antifreeze)

So replacement of the entire system is not necessary, but as rubix has noted they have a tendency to leak if you put a good pump on the system like the 655 it may have too much pressure for the system to handle and leaks may occur as a result of the upgrade.

I do not like the construction of that res it is too weak for what it was designed for I would also suggest replacing it a res and pump upgrade will run about $200 US when it is all said and done.

Some things to look at with your current build are the connection points for your block are they copper or plastic if plastic I again I would suggest replacing the block as well as the plastic used in the construction of the unit is too weak to handle the pressure.

!