Is my power supply sucking out on me

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Hey guys. SO i had an old athlon xp system I built years ago that was starting to freeze constantly and I had given up on this machine to build a new one.

Just built a am3+ athlon x2 250 based system

I recycled a newer sata hd, antec HE 400 psuply and dvd rw from my old system..

Everything was runing great. I was using the built in radeon 4200 on my mobo and was very impressed with its performance...

Right after upgrading to a radeon 4850 i started noticing a slight issue..

right when I fire up a 3d game I slight squeal sound starts. I think its coming from psuply...

Ive also noticed more windows instabilities as well....

So do you think the psuply was the cause of issues in my old build and is in need of replacement?

Specs
Asus 785g m mobo
2gb ram
windows 7 ultimate
latest updates
asus radeon 4850
latest drivers
antec he psuply 400w

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
lol thanks guys. Yea im confident its the psu Ive been out of the game a while now I thought 2 gigs was a lot still?

ram prices jumped im waiting... for now ready boost is grovy

one more question.. I do have ram laying around..

I have some hard core corsiar xms pro pc 3200 ram..

should I pop it in my system.. or will it slow down my other ram? I think the xms is 400mhz ram and im currently using 2x 1gb 600mhz ram.. Im sure the xms can handle 600 speeds..

worth the shot?

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
oh and i was planing to use xp thats another reason i only went 2 gigs...
some one gave me there copy of win7..

I have to say i am pretty impressed.. behind its flashy exterior is a damn fast os. its a resource hog but what isnt these days?

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
just picked up a thermaltake black widow 550 psu it has dual 12 rails but only 17a on the 12v then like 30 amp on the 5v ...

is this a gimick to raise the wattage? what do u need 30a on +5v for? then 30a on +3

Or should I go with this one instead?

http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr450wgspsu.aspx

I was sold on the thermaltake because it has a 5 yr warranty and Ive been thru 2 antec's in less than 8 years. plus its got modular connectors which i loved form my last antec.