Would buying a dual core help my FPS massively?

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I have had this computer for about 4 years now, bought it and upgraded most of the parts. New power supply, graphics card(9800GT) 4 gigs of ddr2 ram, but I have not touched the CPU cause 1. I break things 2. You cant buy them in stores in Canada..........ANYWHERE. I prefer to buy them in store, its instant, I hate waiting.

Anyways, I get pretty sketchy frame rates in games. For example, just got Bad Company 2, average FPS around 20, but it drops dramatically sometimes.

My video card is not awesome, but it shouldnt have anything to do with it on low, so all is pointing back to my CPU.

Would upgrading it to a dual core this one to be exact (the one im considering buying) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103694 give me a stable frame rate? For sure? So to clarify my system specs are=

CPU= AMD Athlon LE-1640 2.71 GHz
GPU= 9800GT
4 gigs of ram
Windows XP home

Solution

ignore this guy.

if you are on a budget, AMD are the way to go. similar performance at a lower price.

a decent AM2+ mobo will allow you to keep your current RAM and get a better processor. something like a gigabyte GA-MA790x-UD2 shoudl do the job, then you can grab something like an athlon II 620, or Phenom II 550 and see pretty big performance gains for a fair price.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
if the motherboard supports it then yes, you will see a massive improvement with a dual core.

ESPECIALLY with BC2, which really favors multicore systems (and really, needs a quad to run it well)

your current system is probably very bottlenecked by that processor, so an upgrade will do well.

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Sounds like video card to me.. I have Corei7 at 2.66 standard and 6gig ram. And i also run Bad Company 2 I never see my CPU go above 20% and ram on it is only at 600k. Altough i do have a GTX275... max settings i still get 40-60

Sorry... I just ran BFBC2 and I noticed it was using all cores. All 8 using hyperthreading.
Yes you would see a huge improvement if you went dual or quad.

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I am using 32 bit -_- What difference does it make? 1 gig unused, whoop whoop.

Socket AM2 (940) with AMD Athlon 64 FX/ Athlon 64/ Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core/ Sempron processor

Didin't think choosing a new processor was so deep : /

Ill consider buying that one Brisbane CPU but first questions.

1. Is it hard to replace a mobo? My case is stock, mobo seems to be rather small.

2. If I do get a new Mobo which brand? AMD or Intel?

3. How would this be with the processor I posted before? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128397

4. If that one wont work on it, could you suggest a mobo around the 100$ price range? Thanks

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I cant answer all those questions.. but I do know allot about intel and AMD. Think of it like your buying a Porche VS mustang. Intel is proven... I read something a very long time ago.. pry on this same site... AMD melted before intel did. Intel is build better... if you want speed sure.,. go with AMD.. you want stable.. intel is the way to go.

Should mention... 32 Bit windows will only see 4gig ram... Itll regonize all 4 in bios ... I dont i remember the final amount... its around 3gig. Go 64 if you plan on upgrading.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

ignore this guy.

if you are on a budget, AMD are the way to go. similar performance at a lower price.

a decent AM2+ mobo will allow you to keep your current RAM and get a better processor. something like a gigabyte GA-MA790x-UD2 shoudl do the job, then you can grab something like an athlon II 620, or Phenom II 550 and see pretty big performance gains for a fair price.

Solution

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
alright thanks. I just have one last question, is it worth it to buy a DDR3 mobo? is ram backwards compatible? can I put my ddr2 in a ddr3 slot?

If not, is there much difference between 4 gigs of ddr2, and ddr3? (Yes specs ofc, but I mean performance right now in games, not in 5 years when it might count)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
no, its not backward compatible.

and no, DDR3 is of no advantage at all over DDR2 in real world situations.

EDIT: and that mobo/proc combo that obsidian linked is very good. in fact, i have that exact mobo lying around here somewhere going totally unused.

Wow. It has been a while since I seen someone so blatantly spout nonsense like this.

aus10

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Qucik Q so is it worth buying ddr3 over ddr2? whats the diffrence between DDR3 and DDR2?
this is the ram i just put in my new computer. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224&cm_re=corsair_dominator-_-20-145-224-_-Product

Asus p6t mobo
intel i7 920
xfx 4890
corsair dominator DDR3 running at 1600

welshmousepk

Distinguished

if you are buying a new mobo/RAM anyway, then you'd be better off getting DDR3 since its newer and slightly better performance wise.

but theres no need to go out of your way, or spend more than needed to get DDR3 if you have perfectly good DDR2, since the performance gains are negligible.

scudst0rm

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
Putting the processor in isnt that bad, just read the instructions and make sure your putting it in the right orientation. be careful not to bend any of the pins. Honestly the trickiest part can be the thermal paste, but if you use the fan that comes with the cpu it should be pre applied.

P.S. Where are you in Canada? I live in Toronto and there are tonnes of places to buy PC components.

Normalcey

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I live in Kelowna BC. There is one store that sells processors, but they are about 300 bucks for a dual core that costs 89 bucks online. So I stand by my statement. And I didint say they didint have pc components, just not processors. Bestbuy doesnt have them, staples, smaller stores RARELY have them but charge 10x more than it probably costs them.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Seriuosly bro, it0s much easier if you trust the internet and order online. Prices can't be bet, and you can make prior research (especially with motherboards) to make good decisions.

Best way to go it Athlon II 630 (the Phenom II 550 is good too, but the extra cores make the 630 be a better option for new games); plus some AM2+ motherboard that suits your needs and DDR2 memory.