Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Loud Noise at Startup

Last response: in Components
March 20, 2010 6:10:55 AM

Hello,
I've searched in multiple locations but cant find a solution to my problem. Over the last couple of months my computer has been making a loud grinding noise at cold boot. The noise used to persist until I arrived at the Windows desktop and then would completely go away until I shutdown and rebooted several hours later. Lately though the noise has continued even once i reached the Windows desktop and I've had to shutdown and reboot. Once I did the noise would be completely gone.
Ive opened my case and dusted all the fans, once I did this i noticed the problem continued, so I preceded to check the fans by lightly tapping them while the computer was making the noise and seeing if the noise stopped or sounded different as a result of my tapping, to my surprise none of the fans were failing. I then checked the PSU to see if the noise was coming from it but it seemed silent. I traced the noise to the right side of the motherboard its almost a loud buzzing whirling noise and i cant seem to figure out what it is. The computer seems to be running fine ive played a few games on it or hours with no diminished performance or notable problems. Any suggestions on what to do next would help. I dont want to turn it on one day and have it break on me.

More about : loud noise startup

a c 144 ) Power supply
March 20, 2010 7:07:38 AM

I know it sounds stupid, but do you have a disk in the optical drive?
m
l
March 20, 2010 7:15:52 AM

sounds like the disk drive for sure. eject the disk tray and see if the noise stops.
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2010 8:15:41 AM

I did not have a disk in the optical drive when i booted so I didnt think that was the cause of the problem. I did although open the drive and the sound stopped. It seems the tray was making the noise somehow. Its weird that the problem didn't effect the disk i inserted when i tried to install software and the noise did not appear when there was a disk in the drive, only during bootup. Im going to call the drives manufacturer and see if i cant get it replaced before it starts messing up my disk. Thankyou for your quick replies and help. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 20, 2010 12:31:48 PM

Can also be a sign of a bad fan in the system, or should i say a worn fan sleeve, or bearing of the fan.
Check your fans inside the case.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
March 20, 2010 7:31:18 PM

Yeah, the sound is bad during start-up only, comes from an optical drive, and does not happen when there is a disk inserted in the drive. This really sounds like a bad bearing in the drive that lets the shaft vibrate badly when it first spins up, but then it stops. With a much larger load (a disk) on it, the vibration does not happen, or at least not loudly.

You are right to have the unit replaced now before it gets really bad. This kind of problem never goes away and never fixes itself. It can only get worse.

Until you said you are sure the problem comes from the optical drive and disappears when a disk is inserted, I would have said that shaun o had the right answer. A fan with a worn bearing often behaves this way - it vibrates as it turns when first turned on, but the heat generated by friction in the bearing warms it up and causes enough expansion of metal parts that the clearance narrows down and the vibration stops. But it also will keep getting worse as the bearing continues to wear.
April 1, 2010 1:24:46 PM

My HP Pavillion is doing the same thing. It's gotta be the bearing in the DVD drive, but it seems to spin free using a finger to rotate the spindle. Maybe there is a way to lubricate the spindle. I also have some trouble sometimes getting a DVD to play. Maybe the spindle is binding and the disc is not spinning properly. Let me know if you find a solution to the problem. Thanks

reimerron
m
l
April 2, 2010 10:27:34 AM

Best answer selected by theenigma87.
m
l
June 26, 2013 9:24:14 PM

had trouble with graphics card play a way the game crashed .thinking the worst .removed graphics card cleaned best I could replaced it since then every start up loud clicking noise totally peed off cause it 2 days past 1 years warranty . bingo message saying drivers for graphics card where faulty. so rolled back drivers ,still noise on start up .reinstalled latest only to find noise has gone ,so try that have you updated any drivers lately my be faulty hard part is finding them good luck
m
l
August 12, 2013 9:56:27 PM

enter BIOS....disable boot from optical disk(cd/dvd).
m
l
!