Computer not completely starting

scotchtape

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
my computer is not completely starting up properly. it detects the motherboard and then freezes up. it doesn't detect the keyboard either and everything is plugged in properly.

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Have you plugged in the 4 or 8 pin connector from your power supply into the motherboard socket (4 or 8 pin depending on motherboard) located near the processor? Once you make this connection, your computer should start.

If this doesn't work, then you need to give us more information about your system components and symptoms.

scotchtape

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
it starts but nothing happens it reads the motherboard and then it hangs. it starts but not completely nothing else is detected and everything in the motherboard is plugged in properly

scotchtape

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
ok everything is plugged in i followed all those steps and now it just turns on and nothing happens, nothing at all is shown on the screen, nothing gets detected. there is also a burning smell coming from the computer. so i think theres something wrong with the power supply and/or the motherboard

anybody have an answer to this problem?

scotchtape

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
there is no burnt marks on any internal parts, but i changed the power supply. i think it has something to do with the motherboard, cpu or ram. it has two ram sticks in there and i took one out and put it back in, maybe its has something to do with when i put it back in

scotchtape

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
i changed the motherboard but now when i start the computer it stuck on "checking for nvram" i know the new motherboard works cause when i first plugged it in it worked fine but then when i started it up again it got stuck on that checking for nvram. i replaced the motherboard with another msi motherboard which is the same one as the one that was in there already