Sign in with
Your question

Adminstrator locked out of drive; can't take ownership.

Last response: in Windows XP
August 10, 2012 11:50:01 PM

Okay so I'm pretty much stuck here. I wanted to give another account admin privileges yet at the same time deny them access to a certain drive, so I tried to be a smartass by creating a new profile for my main user (also an admin), allow it full access, and deny full access to all adminstrators. That didn't workout, I'm now locked out from the drive, Access Denied, from all users, including Adminstrator on safe mode, and my main user anywhere. I can't even take ownership from anywhere as well. I checked that admins can take ownership, there's no problem with that. Any ideas?
a b 8 Security
August 11, 2012 12:06:10 PM

maged918 said:
Okay so I'm pretty much stuck here. I wanted to give another account admin privileges yet at the same time deny them access to a certain drive, so I tried to be a smartass by creating a new profile for my main user (also an admin), allow it full access, and deny full access to all adminstrators. That didn't workout, I'm now locked out from the drive, Access Denied, from all users, including Adminstrator on safe mode, and my main user anywhere. I can't even take ownership from anywhere as well. I checked that admins can take ownership, there's no problem with that. Any ideas?

You could try a safe mode windows restore to prior to making changes.
m
l
August 18, 2012 1:09:44 AM

I really wish I could, but for some odd reason I found no restore points at all.. Must've turned off system restore one day :/ 
m
l
a b 8 Security
August 18, 2012 9:30:47 AM

maged918 said:
I really wish I could, but for some odd reason I found no restore points at all.. Must've turned off system restore one day :/ 

then you will have to look at your XP recovery options or reinstall.
m
l
!