Antec Earthwatt 750watt PSU
XFX ATI 4890 Crossfired
Antec nine-houndred II case
Windows 7x64
2 Intakes 120mm
2 outtakes 1200
230mm outtake on top
Zalman 9900 cooler

One of my graphic cards is making my system crash, the screen either turns white or a gray and it locks up whenever I play games. This happens when temps hit above 65c and I notice that on CCC the activity of the card goes all the way up to 99%. I cleaned my case, updated the drivers, even applied a new thermal paste and this continues to happen. I underclocked it and it still goes up to 65c idle. My other 4890 stays at 40c. When I removed the card that overheats everything is fine. I bought the card about 3 months ago. My PSU is fine and my fans work normally. I ran Prime95, revatuner and 3dmark and they all say passed. did anyone else experience this with 4890's? I read that they can withstand 60c but mines just crash the system. Any insight or ideas would be helpful, I am not planning to upgrade to the 5800 series anytime soon. Thanks!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 5:57:53 AM

I thing either there is some problem with your hotter card or with your motherboard....
It is quite possible that one of your pcie slot is not working..

First check the card:remove the good one and test the one which gets overheated,eg play games like crysis,far cry2,run 3d marks...if the card fails again try using the other slot...If it fails then there is some problem with the gfx and if it passes then your slot is faulty..

January 9, 2010 2:49:06 PM

I installed the other card in the pci-e slot and it did not crash, I even tried my old 4650 and it did not overheat, Im starting to believe that this card is going bad. I registered it with XFX, you think they will replace it? I only had it for three months.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 2:54:35 PM

vargasjr13 said:
I installed the other card in the pci-e slot and it did not crash, I even tried my old 4650 and it did not overheat, Im starting to believe that this card is going bad. I registered it with XFX, you think they will replace it? I only had it for three months.

If you have bought the card legally then the xfx is bound to replace it...
m
l
January 10, 2010 9:38:01 AM

sayantan said:
If you have bought the card legally then the xfx is bound to replace it...

Thanks for all your help, I emailed them and they decided to RMA it. So hopefully this won't become a every 3 month thing lol, The first 4890 I bought from on newegg. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...) Has gotten better reviews then this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) Alot of people say they had to RMA it due to the same problems I had. I thing XFX droped the ball. Hopefully they next one works better. Oh and Thank you very munch!
m
l
!