plantlet

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Do you think I can overclock my MSI GTX 260? It's the 192 version. It's just a bit old and not up to par anymore. I want to give it an extra kick.

I have 3 profiles on MSI Afterburner:

1) For regular use, such as surfing the web or watching movies.
Core clock: 600mhz
Memory clock: 1050mhz

2) For playing less demanding games, such as Team Fortress 2, Bullet Run, etc.
Core clock: 625mhz

3) For heavy gaming, such as GTA IV or Skyrim.
Core clock: 650mhz

The hottest the card has ever gotten was 81C in GTA IV. The highest it's ever gotten in Skyrim was only 72C.
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can overclock it a bit more?

mInInOwA

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I assume you have tried overclocking further than 650 on the core and the question is why you stopped there - was it because of the temperature or artifacts? If its the temperature - you could try adding an aftermarket cooler and clock your card further, however if the problem is artifacts, well, maybe increasing the voltage could help.

plantlet

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

I've had it at 655 max on the core clock, that is it. Never went any higher, and never had any artifacts. I don't have access to the voltage, it's blocked on MSI Afterburner. So is the shader clock.

mInInOwA

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
At this moment I don't have afterburner installed, so I can't check for my self, but I'm pretty sure, that there was a check-box in afterburner's settings, which allowed monitoring and changing the voltage.

plantlet

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Got it running stable at 730mhz on the core clock and 1135mhz on the memory clock. Didn't touch the voltage at all. Went from 38fps to 45fps on the GTA IV benchmark, so that's pretty good. I would overclock it more, but by 15mhz more on the core clock theres no different in fps, so I'm leaving it where it's at.

locomoco321

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2012
MSI Afterburner disabled voltage modification by default. I just learned today as a matter of fact while messing with the video capture feature.
To enable:MSI Afterburner>Settings>General>Compatibility Properties>[Check]Unlock Voltage Control
As for shaders, MSI Afterburner does it for you because most of the time, it's just double the core clock speed.
Hope this helps!