Sign in with
Your question

How to install a 8400 gs graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2010 4:35:38 AM

How do i install my graphics card. Do I need to uninstall the old card?
a c 1362 U Graphics card
January 9, 2010 4:41:11 AM

If you have an integrated you would have to disable it in device manager. If you have a discrete card you uninstall in device manager shut down remove the old card and install the new card boot up and install drivers for the new card.
m
l
January 9, 2010 4:54:26 AM

What computer are you doing this to? That will help alot. Basically it generically goes one of two ways:

For computer with a video card...
1. uninstall video driver
2. power down.
3. remove old card
4. install new card
5. power up
6. install drivers

For computer with integrated video on motherboard:
1. power off computer
2. install new video card
3. power on computer and enter BIOS setup
4. disable onboard video
5. reboot computer
6. install drivers
m
l
January 9, 2010 4:59:20 AM

rolli59 said:
If you have an integrated you would have to disable it in device manager. If you have a discrete card you uninstall in device manager shut down remove the old card and install the new card boot up and install drivers for the new card.

I use device manager a good bit myself, but to "temporarily" disable devices for troubleshooting or for testing. For a permanent change I personally wouldn't recommend it but it would work just fine if you feel more comfortable doing it using this method.

The most success I had with this was because I was too lazy to remove a soundblaster card that there were no drivers for linux for on a dual boot computer. Instead of swapping the speaker cables every time i switched operating systems i just used device manager to disable the card and used onboard sound for both operating systems. Then when I finished with testing, to go back to using the soundblaster card I just enabled it in device manager and was done, no drivers to install or anything all over again.
m
l
Related resources
!