Price of hard drive go back or not ?

They'll eventually return to their usual trend of more storage for less money every year. The only question is whether it will happen in months or years. My guess is that things will be back to normal by no later than this time next year.

Neat U

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I hope you're right. But the cynic in me says this gives the hard drive companies a chance to redo their hard drive price wars. All of the them may "independently" opt to not rebuild the factories, therefore keeping the prices high... we've seen this with the gas companies and air line industries.

I for one am not buying any hard drives until the prices return to what they were.

The gas companies and airline industries had other problems (and the airline industry HAS kept prices very low by cutting service to the bone). If the hard drive manufacturers had wanted to restrict supply they could have done it long before the floods.

vdumitru85

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

The flood of Thai come with the cut of number of HDD producers, there are left now only three : Western Digital, Seagate and Toshiba.
They have only 1 supplier for motors and plates, Nidec, also affected by Thai flood. Nidec announced to cut dependence of Thai production.
Hope that prices for hard drive will be not a problem in the future.

vdumitru85

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Nidec Shibaura Electronics (Thailand) Co., Ltd. and Nidec Copal (Thailand) Co., Ltd. have resumed operations in Bangkadi Industrial Park and Nava Nakorn Industrial Estate, respectively, while maintaining alternative production outside each industrial zone. As of today, out of the ten factories of the Company and its subsidiaries in the affected areas, nine have their facilities back in operation and one remains solely dependent on alternative production outside the affected areas. We will continue our efforts to further improve the utilization of the operational factories and to bring the currently inactive factory back into operation to the earliest extent possible.\n\nacest update este din 15.12.2011 deci probabil mai dureaza cateva luni pana sa vedem o scadere a preturilor :(