Fixing fans with broken fan blades.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
:hello:

Have you ever broken a fan blade of a fan somehow and wondered if you could fix it or replace it after spending all your money on a new build (can happen).

Well it happened to one of my delta fans, one of the 9 blades broke off so there was a unbalanced load (too light on one side and too heavy on the other or example) which made the fan vibrate and reduced airflow.

My fan WAS a 9 blade fan so it was more easier to fix it, from the broken blade skip 2 two blades, break the next blade skip the next 2 blades and cut the next off and you should be left with a 3 blade fan looking fan but with 6 blades instead so you will be left with a 6 blade fan.

(i'll try to post pictures).

Fans with 7 or lower number of blades will be harder to fix, 7 and 5 i will take a look at.

Ones with more than 9 you can try my technique but try to get a equal amount of fan blades.

If you broke more than one then post some pics and i can see what you can do.

Cutting off fan blades is done with cutting pliers or nose pliers, try to cut of the fan not pull it off, you can damage the rotor assembly by trying to pull the fan blades off.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Not really the best way, maybe for slower fans but for fast fans like some Yate Loons or smaller Deltas, super glue might not be strong enough to handle the high speed and medium torgue of Deltas and other high speed fan.

Some smaller deltas reach 10000RPM (10K RPM), not entirely sure if superglue would handle it., depends which super glue you use, gorilla glue might do it, cheaper glue maybe not.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
The original look of the 9 blade delta fan used by Asus in a HP Pavilion.
!B(rz9-g!mk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLlz,uWBKdjUR58!w~~_35.JPG

What happened- hard to see with the crappy quality pic taken but one of the fan blades had come off.
Untitled6.jpg

From the broken blade i skipped two then cut the next and skipped the next 2 and cut that one and skipped the two and the blade was already broken off.
Untitled15.jpg

The result-
Untitled17.jpg

Untitled12.jpg

Sorry for the mess, got bored so decided to count my spare fans and CPUs, sounds boring but its more fun than counting the pins and contacts on each CPU.
Untitled18.jpg

Thats 1434 pins.
And 2325 contacts :kaola:

spat55

Distinguished

You were the guy that commented on the mac virus!! And the newbie got it right!

spat55

Distinguished

Joined on june awhile doing a homebuild, your helping me with the fans now :)

spat55

Distinguished

Nope, i was just saying bad idea to glue them, they only cost afew pound, i'd rather pay that or take them out rather than have it fly off and hit something.