What kind of system can be built with $15000?

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
So... yeah, I sued my school and won. :) I got refunded $16,500. I have already started a small company that deals with computer part sales, custom computer building, computer training and tutoring, and I want to use this money to make a computer set up that shows people what TODAYS computer technology is REALLY capable of.

Everyone knows computers today are EXTREMELY powerful compared to 10 years ago, even though they cost 1/4 the price. Today I can sell a computer I JUST built brand new, never been used for $500. A computer with the same specs even 6 years ago would have cost me around $1000 to make. But even with the computer market at such low prices right now people are still unwilling to pay more than $300 for a computer.

All the time while trying to sell parts and computers people give me these arguements:

"Computers are so expesive for what they can do. Why should I buy a $500 computer when I can buy a PS3, and then get a used POS computer to use for office stuff. If I am not a video editor, a 3d animator, or a programmer then why would I ever need a powerful computer?"

-Now, I hate selling old POS computers for cheap because that is what they want. I hate having to fix them, service them, clean them, replace parts for them, I just want the customer to pay a little bit more, and get seriously a product 10x better.

"It's useless getting a powerful computer because only a handful of games even need a powerful system... and most of the high end graphics games on PC work on either xbox360 or PS3 which costs $300."

"I do not really know much about computers, there for I will not be using it much as I do not think I really need one."

with this build I want to make something that will show people some of the amazing things computers can do, that they never knew about. I am not looking for just raw power. I am looking for cool, innovative, new , and to take advantage of as many different aspects of computer.

What I mean by this, is I want to be utilizing things such as:

Either by using ATi cards or a Matrox TripleHead2Go use 3 monitors at once with the image spanning across all 3 monitors.

Instead of monitors, I might get 3 projectors, or I was also pondering getting 3 37" to 40" TV's at 120hz so I could do the 3D Vision thing with Geforce cards.

Instead of using a mouse I want to use an infra-red tracking system like a wiimote style device, maybe make one in a toy gun form factor for gaming and also make or buy something like a tablet pen but with an infra-red light on the end with a push button for it on the side.

I want to also get a TrackIR 5 for head tracking, but do not know if the infra-red signals and such would interfer with an infra-red mouse system.

Utilize feet macro pads which are large foot petals that preform pre determined macros, or just press keyboard keys such as W for walk forward.

I want to get a high end sound card and s card that allows me to connect cable TV to my computer. I want to use my computer as my complete entertainment system, I want it to run all audio, videos, games, DVR, everything.

I also want to get good voice software for my computer, something that allows me to control my computer via voice commands... like "Open directory c downloads music. Play File song 1 dot MP3." or "Go to games. Play Crysis."

I was pondering getting one of them fancy computer chairs that have built in rumble, suround sound.

I am so tired of the computer industry. It has had FUTURISTIC technology out on the market for over 10 years. Head tracking, voice commands, multi monitors, something else other than the 50 year old mouse....

Every frickin industry is the same...game, computer, music, movies, car manufacturing, all the same. The people with money only stick TO PROVEN methods and are unwilling to go to the next level. Even though new technology comes out that could totally revolutionize EVERYTHING, no one cares, no one uses it, and in fact, the companies that are selling the old products that the new product will make obsolete, instead of competing against them, adopting the new technology and changing with the times they just buy them out, sue them, and take any means they can to stopping them from releasing there new revolutary product.... (Think Electric Cars)

Seriously... think of how old the MOUSE and KEYBOARD design is. Like they where around since BEFORE windows was even invented! And they are still the basic shap, design, and function. Phone companies that charge PER MINUTE for long distance calls from a LAN line.. wtf internet has been out since... well a long frickin time,... I remmeber 15 years ago I could connect via 56k modem, and have a VOICE chat with someone half way around the world ALL night for free (well I had a monthly internet bill, but other than that) 15 years ago, I could make a 10 hour long distance call LEGALLY, for free... yet today people STILL getting charged per minute.

Cable TV, and BIG MAINSTREAM Broadcasting is such a joke. Where I am from, Canada, they use my taxes to pay off these filthy companies. How long has the TV format been the same? Think of all the technology that is out there, how much cable companies are charging for monthly cable service, all the money being spent on advertising, and they cannot change there format in like close to 100 years.... on top of that, the cable companies keep raising the rates of service, without adding anything to the service... It doesnt cost them any differently than the first day they hooked up your cable, and they want to raise your rates every year, and give you no reason to as why, or offer anything extra for the increased rates...

Music industry, go talk to any band that has ever delt with a large mainstream record label company... all they do is stab u in the back, use you as slaves, and make a *** load of money off of your work.

How long has the CD format been around? With Music, games, movies, anything that is sold on a disk is all about selling the DISK, and not whats on it.

Example, a game developer makes a game and there destributors sell it at ebgames. When the game is sold for $60 the game developers do not make barely anything. In fact, they make the lease amount for each game sold. The distrubutors make money, shippers make money, manufactures make money, stores that sell them make money, and then, only after EVERYONE else makes their money, then the game developers get any remaining money.

You see the industries are not being run by the people who create the products. They are run by who distributes and sells the products. The people who sell stuff dont care what the hell they sell, just as long as they sell it. So they set up the laws, and the systems, that would allow them to always be in control of the money, and the rights to sell the games, so that they can choice how to sell stuff and NOT the people who actually made the product..

Computer industry is no different. So mouch revolutionary technology is out, just no one is using it, and or the big companies are trying their hardest to fight back and keep things they way they have always been.

I want to prove to everyone that computers today are capabile OF so much more... like SOOO much more than computers 10 years ago....People think in the last 10 years the only thing different in the computer industry is that people can play games at higher resolutions, and they can have more programs open at once.... but basically, esspically to NON-Gamers, they do not see much of a difference between computer technology from today, and compared to 10 years ago...

So, anyone else have any input on this subject? Know of a cool innvoate products I haven't thought about?

BHBoy

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Save your money and if you are seriouis about what you're saying, build something expandable for alot less (say $700 - $800). You admit you know little about computers, so maybe do (alot) more research into this before buying anything. Beside, to whom are you trying to prove a point?

Some of the capabilities you describe are software, not hardware, dependent. While there's alot of areas where technology can improve life, but it is either not cost effective today or there's no current market. If you want to create a market for something, invest the money in getting a business degree (maybe a bit human psychology wouldn't hurt too)

I'd also suggest reading up on 3d and 120 hz TVs. Might not work how you are envisioning.

Save your money and buy a taco truck. If you're trying to run a business based on anger alone, it'll be a lot harder to screw up a taco truck.

Well, Skype, for one. They basically do the same thing you just described for free.

At any rate ... good luck fighting The Man, or whatever it is that you plan on doing.

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
wow... this is like the 5th post I have made on toms hardware, and 99% of the reply's I get are people mocking me, making fun of what I say, or just wring a total garbage reply thats a total waste of anyones time reading..

I'm going to stop posting on this site, as it seems only idoits who like to mock and make fun of other people post here....

I don't want to save my money... unlike many of you minimum wage idoits I don't have to worry about money.... my computer company has done me extemerly well so far...

I dont want to buy a truck and start a different company... I already have a computer company... I don't need to SAVE money, I have decided I want to spend $15000 making the most amazing display of what cunsomer computer technology can do...

If none of you want to help and only want to offer smart ass remarks, well then I say good bye

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008

thank you for being the only serious poster who replied to me.

In my post reply where I flame everyone for doing nothing but mock and write waste of time posts I did not direct that towards you.

Thank you very much for being the first person EVER on tomshardwar forums that has ever posted a reply to me with relivant information pertaining to my original reply that isn't a smart ass remark intended on rediculing or making fun of what I say.

slimebucket

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008

I do not know what is worse... that you wasted time in your life writing that, or that I wasted time reading it..

Why do idoits who have NOTHING to say about the topic ALWAYS want to inject there smart ass remarks on this fcuking forum...

If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, or any relevent information or opinions, then don't fcuking add on to the disscussion..

This is my last post on toms hardware, so don't even bother replying to me....

zspturbo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
After reading your responses, I gotta say, I'm ashamed to be the one post you actually liked.
Tomshardware is a collection of some of the sanest, most level-minded people I've ever seen on an internet forum. The ONLY reply in this thread that wasn't genuinely helpful was duk3, and you deserved his smartass response.

I'm 22, and you know what? Even I can tell you have a LOT of growing up to do.

P.S. I call BULLSHIT on someone like you having a genuinely successful "company"... You sound like a troll to me.