Which is best for gaming?

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
The Overclockers link points to a couple of different products so not sure which one you're looking at exactly. If you can give the model name or whatever I'll have a look :)

The Phenom II 965 you pointed to on EBuyer is an excellent CPU for gaming. Coupled with a good GPU and RAM you shouldn't have trouble playing any current games and it will also last you quite a while since games are only now really starting to fully utilise multi-core CPUs. It's also a good overclocker since it has an unlocked multiplier. The one thing I will say about it is that you may wish to go for the 955 instead which is clocked at 200MHz (off the top of my head) lower, but with a very small overclock you can achieve this 200Mhz effectively giving you a 965. May just save you a little bit of cash and you can of course overclock further again if you wish. Hope this helps!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I'd be tempted to go for the Phenom II 965 or 955. The i3 is a nice chip but its only a dual core whereras the Phenom II you pointed to is a quad core. With more and more games now starting to fully utilise multiple threads a quad core CPU will probably pay more dividends than a dual core. It will also last you a lot longer before you wish to upgrade again. For the price the 965 is one of the best performers for gaming. Although for reasons I mentioned in my first reply you may wish to go for the 955. And as abhishekk89 mentioned they overclock very well since they have an unlocked multiplier.

Don't bother getting a 965, a 955 performs about the same and can overclock just as well. Spending more money on a 965 isn't justified since there is no difference except a slightly higher base clock...which means less OCing headroom.

955s and 940s are the best value for your money

fencer55

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
'

If you get the AM3 Phenom II X4 965, you will be able to upgrade to the AMD thuban six core monster coming out soon with your existing motherboard!

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

Not true X6 will probably work with AM3 and i even heard of AM2+ support.

TRENDING THREADS