Compatibility issues with Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 and XP Home and Pro SP3

psteelers58

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I have tried to boot up my newly built computer (Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3) with both XP Home SP1 and XP Pro SP3. Neither will boot. I called Asus they asked me to try and boot the driver CD that came with the motherboard. That CD did boot up but both versions of XP would not. Asus stated that since their CD booted it wasn't their problem and they told me to call Microsoft.

Here are my computers specs:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Mobo - Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
RAM - 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin 1600 (PC3 12800)
PSU - XFX Black Edition P1-750B

Do you have any suggestions??

Thanks,
New system builder

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Did you create the XP Home SP1 and XP Pro SP3 disks yourself or are they original Microsoft products ?

If you made the disks with integrated service packs, you did not make the CD-Rs bootable. You just copied the files and folders on to the Cd-Rs. So the disks are non-bootable.

psteelers58

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Thanks guys I figured out the problem. Asus tech service expertise on their own products is lets just say lacking. I asked them specifically if trying to load an operating system from EIDE DVD drive would make a difference and they stated no. Even though the disk that came with the computer would boot up from an EIDE drive I figured out that an operating system will not. I went out and purchased a $20 Sata DVD drive and it booted right up. Maybe I should go work for their tech support group.

One more piece of information I found out that the operating system I purchased on Craigs list was not authentic so I have since purchased an OEM version of Windows 7 pro on New Egg. I will still probably work with both operating systems off two hard drives due to the fact that I enjoy some of the older games and I'm sure some of them wont play on Windows 7.

Thanks again for your help