Laptop killing ssd's

G

Hey Tom's, long time follower, first time poster. I work for myself as a computer tech and have been on my own for the past 7 years and love my job. I have been messing around with computers since DOS 5.0 so I've been around for a bit. I have a strange problem that I am curious to see if anyone hase seen this or heard of it. I have about a 4 year old Toshiba satillite a-105, core 2 1.73 ghz, 3 gigs of ram, Windows7 ultimimate. I recieved the laptop from a client because of drive failure. I was able to retrieve his data, he just decided to get a new HP. I put a 40gig adata ssd in it and it ran great for about a month until the drive died. I replace the drive with a mushkin 40 gig calisto deluxe and it lasted about a month. Rma'd the drive and and replaced with the new on from mushkin. Lasted two weeks. Drive died again. Currently have mechanical drive in it and is running fine, shipping second drive back tomorrow for RMA. I know it is first generation sata, is it possible this laptop does not like ssd's? Are they more sensitive to voltage. I am afraid to put my new mushkin in it if fear it might kill it as well. This is my second maching using it just for web browsing and such. Thanks for any input.

Solution
I would not put another one in there, must be something in the power circuitry that is not correct and the SSD´s are more sensitive to than a HDD
G

I know all about ssd's. Have 3 vertex 2's in raid 0 in my desktop for over a year with no hicups. It's just this laptop that has killed 3 ssd's in 2 months. Very frustrating!

G

Latest bios, latest chipset and sata drivers (ich7-m). Windows 7 ultimate installs fine and runs great for two weeks or so and then drive dies. Do data can be recovered, no detected in bios in laptop or my desktop. Drive just goes south.

G

Thanks, I agree. Just wanted someone to confirm.

colin_bc

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I just saw this and had to chime in. I have a Toshiba Satellite L300 laptop that has had 4 SSD's (all OCZ Vertex II, RMA'd repeatedly) go belly up within 6 weeks. I've had a couple more Vertex II's die in the same manner in a couple different PC's too. They work great until they go. Always the same thing: go to power up the laptop (or the 2 pc's) and the ssd is no longer detected.

Time for a new laptop...