Kingston HyperX 120GB

osulwang

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hi all,

I recently installed said SSD in my computer and have been getting seemingly random freezes that force me to restart my computer. I've looked around and it seems the latest firmware is installed 332ABBF0. Instead of a fresh OS install for this SSD, I mirrored my old hard drive which is a WDC WD5000AAKX-753CA1. I've read that I'm supposed to hook up the SSD to the correct motherboard port and have AHCI or something like that, I'm not sure if that is my current setting or how to enable it if it isn't. I found in device manager this IDE ATA/ATAPI controller, and it says Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller and the controller is PCI bus 0, device 31, function 2. Not sure what that means. My SSD is located on 3, and the other two are 0 and 2. My other computer specs: Intel i7-2600, I got 8 gigs of RAM (not sure what the make is), Windows 7 x64 SP1 Pro. Also my computer is Dell Vostro 460 and I believe my motherboard is H67. Please help, I just bought this SSD and I've exhausted my troubleshooting skills.

Thanks

tlmck

Distinguished
I am surprised that it worked at all. You are really not supposed to transfer an image from a HDD to SSD. Just not compatible. The only real way is to do a fresh Windows install on the SSD, and then hook up the HDD and transfer your data over.

Before you do the fresh install, you need to go into your motherboard's BIOS and set the hard drive controller to AHCI. Windows will pick up on that and install appropriately. I would also hook the SSD to SATA 0.

osulwang

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks for the response. I believe my problem has been resolved. I'm not entirely sure what my solution was, I tried a lot of things... I'm guessing the thing that probably worked as a pre-boot check disk that fixed some errors,

TRENDING THREADS