Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 install killed comp... "No Signal"

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2010 2:40:59 AM

I was reinstalling win7 when after the "extracting files" step the screen blacked out. I let it sit for several minutes, figuring it was restarting as part of the install but it soon became apparent that something went wrong.
Now I have removed all my HDDs, my video cards, my disk drive, basically everything except RAM and CPU. Both trying with the video cards' and the motherboar'd's DVI ports results in my monitors displaying the "No signal" message.
What could be causing it? Could my BIOs be damaged somehow? I am really pissed about this because this is the third major error I have had to repair on this comp in about a year, the second involving the motherboard I believe.

If you want the hardware specifics I am looking for them now, but I have to dig through the comp to find the model numbers and such.

Also possibly of note, I just installed a piece of RAM, however the computer booted fine with it before attempting the installation. I have removed it anyways just in case.
January 15, 2010 4:30:07 AM

All signs point to hardware failure. Do you have full power to everything on the MB? Do you get post beeps that can tell you what is wrong?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 15, 2010 5:33:33 AM

An OS install shouldn't just kill hardware. It might have been working your hard drive a bit harder than normal and maybe your PSU finally gave up the ghost.

During install it also tells you when its gonna reboot. So it shouldn't have done that unless you got "lucky" and something failed in the middle. I'd try checking the PSU then mobo then CPU.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2010 11:18:56 AM

Well, this PSU is just as new as the mobo, because I had to replace both last time as it seemed the PSU took the mobo out with it it seemed... though with the bad luck I have with comps I wouldn't doubt it.
Thanks for the advice, I am going to try checking all three.

No, apparently my friend who helped me build it originally about a year ago decided I didn't need the warning speaker and never put in the 4-pin cable for it... I didn't realize it until now so I need to find one so I can hear the beeps.

I am relatively new to computer maintenance, so would you happen to have any advice on how I can test them without getting another system to put the parts in, or is that the only way?

Also, I won't be around the computer for the weekend but will have a spare comp to test the PSU with and probably the cable for the warning speaker if you want to hear how those go. Unfortunately the spare isn't compatible with anything else in my comp.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2010 12:04:23 PM

You should start by going through every step in the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky at the top of the forum. There's no way the OS can fry components. I would say it's far more likely caused by the RAM you added. We do need the complete system specs to offer the best advice.
m
l
January 15, 2010 5:55:17 PM

Thank you so much, I had sort of thought it was the RAM but as I had tried removing the new one I didn't think of the two already in it.
I apologize for not reading the sticky first ><

Would you happen to know where I could find some help with RAM timings, voltage, ect.? I have never done it myself before. I know how to find the settings in BIOS and such, but I have no clue as to what I should set them to, or how I should go about setting up each RAM stick without having them all in and such. Do I put them in one at a time in different slots?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
January 15, 2010 6:53:44 PM

We need to know the complete system specs to offer much help. Does the new RAM have the same speed/timings/voltage specs as the old RAM? If not, it may not work at all. You would at least have to set the values to the lowest common denominator and hope for the best. Your motherboard owners manual should explain how to set the RAM values. The RAM should have a stick on it that lists its rated speed/timings/voltage. Those values are what you manually enter in the BIOS.
m
l
January 19, 2010 11:27:48 PM

Well, these RAMs have worked together in the past, however after some testing I have discovered a few things.
Apparently the 4GB stick is dead. After resetting CMOS and trying to boot it by itself nothing shows.
The third DIMM also appears to be dead. I say this because it will not boot with any ram in that slot, period. However with the two 2GB sticks they can boot together in any combination of slots other than 3.

Motherboard is ASUS M4A78-E
2GBs are pqi PQI24200-4GDB
4GB is Kingston KVR800D2N6/4G I believe
CPU is Phenom 9850 Quad-Core
Is anything else relevant?

At this point I am just wondering if my diagnosis is likely/possible. This computer has suffered from PSU and Mobo failures in the past.
Also I am wondering if you could point me to anything that might help me optimally set up my dual 2GB sticks.
m
l
!